Love Is A Mess

Warning: There is death, and homophobic references in this chapter.

Lilac's POV
Madison called me, Kennedy, and Theodosia over to a corner near the toy bins. I wonder what she wants.

Kennedy's POV
That loser, Madison, dragged us into a corner. I don't really care what she wants, but Lilac seems curious, so I guess I will go with her. Lilac is actually... kinda pretty... I like her a lot. No. I like her as a friend. More than that is weird. I have a crush on Philip, and no one else.

Madison's POV
I called 3 girls over to a corner behind the toy bins to discuss my plan. I know they all like Philip, but so do I. "Alright everyone. The reason you are here is because I know you all like Philip." I said.

Lilac looked embarrassed that she was being called out like this.

Theodosia looked shocked that 3 other girls also liked Philip

But Kennedy..

She just looked hurt, stealing a glance at Lilac before putting on a fake glare at everyone else behind the toy box. "So?" Kennedy finally said, looking genuinely annoyed.

"Well, we are going to have a competition to see who can dazzle Philip the most on Valentine's Day tomorrow. At the end of the day, we will ask him who he thinks is the best, and whoever wins gets to be with him!" I said triumphantly. I liked that plan, I spent all night cooking it up!

The other girls nodded in agreement, before running off and leaving me sitting all alone.

After school

Theo's POV
I came home from school, an idea forming in my head of what to do for Philip on Valentine's Day tomorrow, when I saw my father, sitting on the couch looking... grief-stricken?

"Papa? What's wrong?" I asked. I'm very worried for him but I don't know what's wrong.

After a while, he didn't answer. Then, I noticed something was off. "How's mom?" I asked. She had been sick for the past few weeks.

"Is she feeling better? Is she going to be ok?" I asked hopefully. I want her to come home! She's been at the hospital for a really long time!

He looked me straight in the eye, and began to sing.

"Dear Theodosia, how to say to you?
Sometime last night
Your mother breathed your name
And like a flame that flickers out
Too soon
She died
She's...
Gone..." My father said before breaking into an uncontrollable sob. No! This couldn't be true! He began to sing again, running a hand through my hair

"She dedicated every day to you
She changed my life
She made my life worthwhile
And when you smile...
I know a part of her lives on
I know I can go on.." I gave him a weak smile. He did always say it reminded him of my mother, and I know it made him feel better. But not today. It seemed to just make him feel worse. I almost cried when he began to sing again.

"You have come of age
With our young nation
We bleed and fight for you...
Sometimes it seems that's all we do
But you and I
Will build a strong foundation
And I'll be here for you
The way is clear for you
To blow us all away
Someday, someday.
Yeah, you'll blow us all away..
Someday, someday..."

I started to cry. I couldn't handle it. I needed to rest. I decided I would go to sleep, and sulk about it in the morning. There was nothing else I could do.

The next day, at school

I was halfway to school before I realized, I never even got anything for Philip! I wanted to cry all over again, because how could he want me now? He's going to choose Madison, she's pretty. Or maybe Kennedy and Lilac, because they are popular!