21. There Was A Girl

It's lunch time when a younger girl comes and tells me that my mother is waiting outside the school for me.

Wondering what my mom is doing outside and why she didn't just call me, I walk out of the main gate when Mary grabs my wrist, drags me to her car and shoves me into the passenger seat.

As she takes the driver seat, I tell her, "what are you doing?! This is kidnapping!"

"Call 911, then," she says and starts driving.

"Where are we going?"

"To the bar."

"Why? I've school."

"We're going to have a talk," she says looking at the road.

"Oh, okay! I get it. You're the next person on the list to tell me that I'm wrong and Blue is right, and I should just date Blue," I tell her sarcastically.

"Something like that. But don't talk now. I've to concentrate on driving. I'm a bad driver."

I shake my head and stay quiet.

Once we're in the bar she gives me a mug of hot chocolate.

"So, why are you refusing to date Michael?" she asks me.

"I don't think of him that way."

"You can practice thinking like that," she says and I glare at her.

"Come on, Dayna! You're not a child!" 

I'm getting a deja vu vibe from yesterday.

"I know I'm not a child. It's you guys who don't seem to know that!" I tell her.

"Dayna! stop being so stubborn. You know what I mean. Stop being so scared to have a boyfriend."

I put down the mug, cross my arms and look away.

Mary sighs. "Seriously, you're more stubborn than Asher! Fine! You don't think of Michael that way. Let's accept that. Let's say Michael is not your type. Now tell me, who is?"

"Who is what?"

"Who is your type? What sort of guy is your type? What sort of boyfriend you want?"

"I don't want a boyfriend."

"Why not?"

"I'm not in the mood to date."

"Why not?"

"I don't know! I just am not. Does that even need an explanation?"

"Yes! I need an explanation for everything! So, answer me!" says Mary.

"I don't have one! I just am not looking for a boyfriend!"

"Why not?"

"Mary, we are going in circles!"

"And we'll do so all day.

I'm not letting you go till you give me a clear answer.

I'm not saying Michael has been nothing but a gentleman with you. I know he deserves some of this because he had that coming for ignoring you at the beginning.

But I also know he needs you! I've known him since we were kids. He has never been with a girl. And now, he gets into a fight with James for you!

He was so closed off but you managed to not only break down his walls but also drive him crazy!

What do you think will happen if you walk away now? How do you think he'll react?

You maybe will go to a college and find someone there. But have you thought about Michael? Do you think he'll be able find someone, anyone, in the future? Do you think he'll be able to once again let someone in after you break his heart?