Chapter 28

I woke up to the sound of a loud banging on my apartment door. I turn to look at the Alarm clock on my bedside table. It read 2:17 am. Who the hell is brave enough to come to someone's home so late in the night?

  I closed my eyes in hopes that the banging stops, it didn't.

  Whoever it was is going get me in trouble with the apartment supervisor tomorrow.

   "I'm coming," I shouted as loud as I could. I slowly pushed myself off the bed. I wrapped a rope that was laying a chair around my body and started making my way to the door.

  As the door opened and revealed who it was, I rolled my eyes, why am I not at least a bit surprised?

   Because Iris has done this about a hundred times before, maybe I was hoping this time it would be someone else.

  She pushed her way past me, "Were you sleeping?"

  I rolled my eyes and close the door. She knew well enough that I was sleeping.

   "Too bad." Rojo came over to her and lingered at her foot. "Hey, Rojo. Sorry for waking you and your little one up but your momma has been a mean lil bitch to my future cousin in law." Iris took a seat on the couch then pats Rojo's head.

  Rojo growled then went back over to her bed.

  I sighed and waked over to the single sofa and sat down. "Are you gonna tell me why you're here or are you just going insult me in front of my dogs?

  "I love you too best friend, It's good to see, how have you been?" Her sarcastic tone ran in the air.

   I rolled my eyes again. I am not and will never be the type of person who loves waking up in the middle of the night. It just wasn't my thing or anybody else's for the matter.

"It's good to see. How have you been? Now can you please tell me why you're here at 2 am in the morning?"

"Oh, yes. I am here because a little birdy told me you broke up with Seth freaking good-looking Parker."

   I rolled my eyes, did she really just say that? "Has Brandon every heard you referring to his cousin a good-looking?"

She shrugged, "It's not like I'd be lying. Now tell Momma what happen?"

I sighed, "It's simple. We could never work, I'm a Defence Lawyer and He's a DA."

   "Bullshit! I heard that Gideon was the one who told you to break it off. When I see that old hag again." She said with a scowl.

"Don't call him that. He's a good man."

   "A good man doesn't tell a woman to break up with a man who makes her happy." She looked me in the eyes and gave me a sad smile. "Seth made you happy. You make him happy. Yes, you guys are on the opposite side of the courtroom but that doesn't mean you have to let business get in the way of pleasure and happiness."

  I sighed, "It's complicated."

  "How is it complicated?" she asked.

  "Many ways."

   Iris shook her head, "Remember the last time you guys broke things off, you both were miserably and angry, just like right now. I can't get you to go anywhere with me because you're afraid you'll see him and he ain't coming now where with us because he thinks you'll be with us. Now I'm stuck with Brandon, not that I mind but I want my best friend with me when I go to clubs. I'm just coming from a club right now and you know what I did the whole time there? I drank apple vodka while a listen to Brandon and one of his friends talk about business. It wasn't pleasant at all. I think I drank a lil bit too much."