Chapter 31

I looked at myself in the mirror and forced a smile.

You can do this Karishma.

You have to.

  This is your best friend's surprise engagement party. Put yourself together. Be happy and if can't then fake it.

  Iris has been my best friend for years, tonight is her night. After avoiding marriage for so long the couple deserves to have this beautiful night together without someone like me feeling sorry for myself.

   I couldn't let anyone see how sad I really am, not even the reason for my sadness.

   He was going to be there. He was on the planning committee and it wasn't something I could avoid but he managed to completely ignore me. He was trying to hurt me, It worked.

   "Bing" I look across the room at my phone that was laying on my bed. I walked over my bed and took a seat then took up the phone.

   'Surprise Party' WhatsApp group popped up. Brandon sent a message saying, "I hope everyone is ready for tonight. Seth, I hope you've finished with the decorations. Ethan, make sure that she comes out of that office of hers in the dress that I gave you. Also, she needs to believe that she's meeting with an important client, whatever his/her name is, take care of it. Karishma, the cake, the flowers, remember to text her and tell her about your vacation and you. She needs her best friend here for this."

  I need exactly why Brandon said that. He knew how hard it was for me to be around Seth.

    I quickly typed in the phone, "Already collected the cake and the flowers. I'll text her when she's close to finishing getting ready. I'll be there, my flight doesn't leave until tomorrow morning."

  Ethan responded by saying, "She's in her office getting ready now."

   Brandon, "Wait, you're really going on vacation? I thought that was all apart of the plan to get her to 'Le Passion Rouge'"

   "It was but I realize I need to get out of New York for a few weeks, so why not?" Me leaving New York was a last minute decision I made earlier today at work. I realized that I no longer enjoyed the job I once loved so much, maybe I needed some time away from it all. I hadn't had a vacation in a while so the Bahamas tomorrow would be a perfect relaxation and get away trip.

  "Oh, well. Safe Flight when the time comes. I'll see you in a few."

"Thanks," I said replying to Brandon's message.

   I stood from my bed, this is going to be a long night. I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room.

    I walked over to the small storage room in the corner and took out the portable dog crate. Since I was going to be away for two weeks I decided to let my parents petsit Rojo and her puppies. I bent down on my knees and started looking for the little ones. They had a tendency to hide under the couch whenever they saw the crate some out of the storage room, which was the time I brought them to the park. Normally I had to bring out the bag of treats to get them to come out but I ran out of treats yesterday so I'll just use smiles.

  "Come, babies," I make kissy noises which were usually effective since it had high decibels. "Come to mama." I make some more kissy sounds while looking under the couch. They slowly walked over to me. I smiled and grab them up before they had a chance to escape. I quickly place them in the crate and close the door. Rojo is well behaved so she drives in the car with me and doesn't need a crate.

  I stood up from the ground and dust off my dress.

   "Rojo, let's go." I said as I took up the crate. Rojo listened and came to stand beside me wagging her tail. I smile. She thinks we're going to the park, her favourite place.