Scene 10 - The Generator

The grill is moving. It shakes. We can hear voices behind that.

Emma:

This is it.

Matthew:

We need to get this open.

Unwin:

Altogether, push on it. It should begin to release it from the mechanism.

Matthew:

What is in here anyway Emma?

All three of them try desperately hard to push open the grill, putting as much effort as their backs will put in. Heaving and pushing the best they can do. It's going. They've done it, the grill falls to the floor with a hugely loud crash like glass. The three stand on the edge and find what they have been looking for – the answer to their problem.

Emma:

Here, the generator of the drones.

A Computer system, built-in some tank-like green box, solid and muscular. It is the generator, the heart and brain of the whole system of drones, preparing to be launched to wreak havoc and destruction upon the world. Filling itself across the entire solitary, confined area, gauges flash and turn as the time approaches. It receives orders from the control panel in Scene 9, via wires stretching out into the walls relaying instructions and filling it with information, like the form of an octopus.

Matthew:

That's big.

Unwin:

We must keep focus on the assignment Matthew.

Emma:

And now that we are hardly a fraction compared to the size of the generator.

Matthew:

I think we'll start now.

Unwin:

A wise idea Matthew, where do we place the explosive device?

Emma:

You have a large surface area to choose from Father Unwin.

Unwin:

To place on the device itself?

Matthew:

How long will that give us to escape from the detonation?

Emma:

Five minutes.

Matthew:

Five minutes!

Emma:

And the radius of detonation will reach all the way back up to the surface.

Unwin:

Well then we need to get a move on.

Matthew:

Father take her with you and start running.

Emma:

What?

Matthew:

Don't argue, I'm the fastest one here. You two start running out of here to gain whilst I plant the bomb. I will catch you up.

Unwin:

He's right Ms. Chater. He knows what he is doing.

Matthew:

Just go!

He turns to face the other way as he prepares to set the bomb, stored in his pocket.

Unwin:

Emma let's go.

She is reluctant to leave, still facing Matt with her big eyes. She joins Father Unwin and heads back into the shaft to make her escape.