Scene 11 - Time to leave

Matt begins to approach the generator. However, he doesn't realise that we are currently watching him from a blue lens. He is being viewed, by the control centre of the complex and doesn't even know it! For now, at least, they can't see him. As Bresch relays his grandmaster schemes to his fellow henchmen, Barch begins to notice a figure in the camera.

Bresch:

And so, we have no more time to waste. We shall begin the mission, prepare the drones.

Barch:

Sir? Sir, this might sound...

Bresch:

SILENCE! Otherwise, you will be the next to die, BRESCH!

He then shuts up, but moves over to the panel to watch Matthew plant the bomb, fascinated by this miniature man in the generator room.

Prepare to launch the drones.

The henchmen stand around the panels of the controls, operating the switches and buttons whilst Bresch merely stands and observes the process.

Open flap.

Somewhere outside on the cold, dreary night, some flap opens falls down and reveals just nothing but more empty space, not that there is much to see anyway. But we can already hear the buzzing sound of the mechanical spinners ready to be unleashed to the world.

Launch the drones!

Walter has also noticed Matthew in the generator room, now Matt makes a break for it and charges back into the grill to catch up with the others.

Walter:

Excuse me sir, I'm not kidding, there was someone in the generator room.

Bresch:

Not now Walter!

Barch:

You see sir, I was telling the truth.

Bresch:

I've had enough of these infantile jokes.

Bresch also marches up to the scanner in the generator. Flabbergasted, he lividly turns back around to unleash his fury on his minions.

STOP! Stop the drones.

Barch:

You see, I was telling the truth.

Walter:

We must get to that bomb and stop it detonating.

Spencer:

No, it has a timing mechanism attached to it!

The bomb already begins to sweat smoke out.

Walter:

It's already smoking!

Spencer:

Well what are we going to do sir?

Bresch:

Get that bomb! What else? Send out the drones and set them on a course for the generator to diffuse.

Walter:

But sir, if we do that it will still...

Bresch:

DO AS I SAY WALTER! AND FOR ONCE, DO IT RIGHT!

Unwin and Emma have reached the entrance of the tunnel, where the gap of the night sky awaits them. Emma begins to climb.

Emma:

But Matthew...

Unwin:

No more time to waste Ms. Chater, he's coming. Up you go.

The bomb releases gushes of smoke endlessly as the countdown begins to run out, second by second. Matt is close behind somewhere in the tunnels, but he must hurry. Bresch knows he might be about to die...

Bresch:

THERE IS A BOMB IN THERE AND IT IS GOING TO BLOW US ALL UP!

Spencer:

We're trying sir.

Bresch:

HURRY!

Walter:

The countdown is close.

Emma, followed by Unwin, have now reached the top of the drain and stare down the pit with desperate hope, impatiently.

Emma:

Come on Matt.

Unwin:

When is the bomb due to detonate?

Emma:

About five minutes. MATTHEW! MATTHEW!

An echo cries back down the drain.

Matthew:

I'm coming! Get in the car and prepare to drive.

Seconds are left on the bomb! They are all now in the car, sitting in exactly the same positions.

We need to get right away from here. Drive away as far as you can. The bomb will go off in the next thirty 30 seconds.

Gabriel hastily reverses back as fast as her wheels will take her. The car now faces forward into the street and quickly sets off.

Unwin:

Good thing we installed this new gadget.

Below to the left corner of the panel of the car, a new button is pressed. It zooms at quadruple the normal speed, almost flying down the road as the passengers hang on for dear life. Seconds remain on the bomb!

Bresch:

Stop that bomb!

The device explosively detonates, erupting the generator into an inferno.

Barch:

Sir, I think we are a little too...

The room detonates. The tunnel detonates. The drain and its long pit detonate. Gabriel is well out of range now blasting its way away. Then, the entire ground is blown into oblivion as the flames rocket into the air with an almighty roar of anger – leaving no chance of any survivors anywhere nearby. Gabriel begins to decelerate to its normal driving speed, shrunk down.

Unwin:

Home, you two?

Matt/Emma:

Home, Father.