Chapter 3

Auburn's POV

Over the next 3 weeks (which only felt like a few days) Benjamin and I got closer and closer. I can't explain it but I feel a pull to him a pull I can't really explain.

We began to do everything together, we hunted, we joked, we messed and we talked... but most importantly, we under stood each other. We understood the pain of being ripped away from our families, the grief. We understood the frustration as we watched everyone grow older and live while we were frozen in time. We understood the confusion, that constant voice in the back of our minds that would ask,'Why me? What did I do wrong?" We both knew a pain like no other but we carried the weight it pushed down on us,  together.

We came closer, like two pieces of fabric being threaded together. Blending together to form one being. We were two halves of the same thing, he was my other half and I was is.

It was sunny, so me and Benjamin where laying on top of one of the tallest building around. We lay side by side in the middle of the roof. Out of sight. We gazed up at the sky in silence, it wasn't awkward, it was like we where having a conversation without words.

Benjamin and I, though we were close, we didn't know everything about each other. He didn't know my past and I didn't know about his. But after 3 weeks, we were both coming to decisions. I wanted to share the pain of my past with him and I wanted to help him bear the pain and sorrow of his. I rolled onto my side and looked at him, calculating. I knew he could feel my stare but I didn't know if it registered or not, he looked as if he was lost deep in his own mind.

After a few moments he turned his head to me, looking at me. Our eyes made contact and I began to examine his red eyes. They where a beautiful crimson colour, like that dress from a distant memory but around the edges there was a circle of black, like a ring. Then around his pupil there was tendrils of black stretching out very slowly, it would be invisible to the human eye and probably vampires if they weren't watching his eyes like I was now. The black stretched out being to cover some of the red of his eyes, while the majority of his eyes was that beautiful, striking colour the black was becoming noticeable.

I must of been staring too long because next thing I know he is propped up on one elbow with his infamous smirk gliding across his face. I laughed nervously before giving him a 'light' shove causing him to flop back onto his back.

He rested his hand over his heart in feigned shock saying,"You wound me!" Causing me to burst into a fit of laughter at his awful attempt at a joke. He soon joined me in my fit of laughter, the sound of our joy resounding down the street and round the corner into Barry's Bakery. 

Our laughter slowly faded away and I rolled back over so our situations changed, I was the one deep in thought and he was the one watching me. I sighed deeply and said," I wanna know more about you Benjamin. If you're ready I want to know you... the real you." He watches me, wide eyed as he comprehends what I'm asking of him. Another second of silence passed, before being broken by his voice, which still had an accent to make me swoon by the way." It's hard to think about, it's been awhile since the events happened. I've tried to forget the moment my life turned to dust, the moment Amun came and changed everything. But for you I'll try my best." I smiled at him softly, then.." But, in return I want you to tell me about you. From before." I nodded my head," It's only fair." 

He rested one hand behind his head and the other lay by his side, the side closest to me. " I was a very... unique child. Me and my family were poor, very poor... so me and my father we did tricks on the street to gain money. One day we discovered that had this mysterious control over fire.  So we showcased it, we let the world see how different I was. Then one day, my tricks brought in a very... special guest. I remember the day better than anything else from my human life, the day I saw those strange red eyes from a gap in the crowd and by god I wished I hadn't. That night.. he- he." He began stuttering and he clenched his eyes, struggling to continue. He dry sobbed beside me as his memories came flooding back, of course no tears fell, it was impossible for that to happen. I looked at him with sorrow, seeing him this broken made me feel hurt as well. I couldn't place my finger on it though. 

I took a leap and slipped my hand into his causing his eyes to fly open, I could still see traces of the burning venom that replaced our tears but he had stopped sobbing. He sat up, taking me with him. I shuffled closer to him and rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb. "I can help if you want?" He looked at me in confusion before saying," Your gift?" I nodded, funny thing about me and Benjamin, we actually haven't see each other's abilities before, I mean we know what they are but we haven't seen them in action. "You sure?" he asked me, making me nod my hand. "Alright then, take it away." I used our joined hands to access his brain. Flicking through his memories, I came across what I was looking for. I watched as a human looking Benjamin did amazing tricks with fire, his brown eyes reflecting the flames he danced with. I could also see the red eyes he had mentioned. The memories flicked forward to Human Benjamin walking through his small but nice home, after hearing a sound, I watched as he rounded a corner to see his father being drained of his blood by Amun. I felt venom well up in my eyes as I see Amun drop Benjamin's father or his body to the ground and grin maliciously. Human Benjamin tried to run only to smack straight into the chest of Amun who had flashed over to him, who than grabbed his wrist lifted it to his lip and sinking his canines into the young human boy's vein, releasing the venom that would change his life forever, before pulling away, then everything went black. 

I held on to Benjamin's hand tightly as I backed out of his memories and into reality, raising a hand to my mouth I said softly," Oh Benji." I threw my self into his arms and dry sobbed into his shoulder, sobbing for him, for his life and for his family. He rubbed my back before I pulled away quickly," I'm sorry, I shouldn't be the one getting comfort, you're the one that had to experience thi-" I was cut off by him," Honestly, Auburn, it's fine, that really helped me get over everything... Thank you... By the way, since when do you call me 'Benji'." His mouth turned up at once side, into a smirk. 

I turned away from him jokingly," Alright then if you don't like it I guess I'll stop." I was pulled into his chest and onto his lap quicker than I could say.. well anything really. Our bodies were pressed together as he leant into my ear and said," No don't, I do like it." I chuckled," Alright Benji, It suits you anyway." I think he finally realized what position we were in because he started to stutter.. again, " O-oh my g-gods, I'm so,so sorry Auburn." I laughed at his awkwardness and slipped off his lap back to my spot beside him," It's fine... don't sweat it." He gave me his 'really' look, causing me to shrug in return.

The atmosphere around us transferred from playful to serious in 0.0000001 seconds as he asked," So what about you?" I sighed, lets get this over with....

"Well...."