Chapter 1 ~ A New Face out of Nowhere

"Leo, you ready yet? Your due to start your duel in a few minutes!" Luna called to her brother, a hint of annoyance lingering in her voice. Leo had spent the whole morning going over strategies, deciding what cards to use, different combos, anything he could think of. He hadn't won many duels before but since going to duel academy with his sister his skills had definitely improved. This tournament was his chance to prove it, to his sister and to all his friends. Yusei had been talking him over remembering to adapt to his opponents and not to stick too much to his own preferred moves. His sister, well, not much advice other than to not get ahead of himself or get too cocky, which he had a tendency to do the second he saw he might be at an advantage. His strong energy and positive attitude during duels was definitely admired by his peers but it was easy for him to slip up because he would often not think about and anticipate opponents comebacks. Learning to quit whilst he was ahead was not an easy task but he would do his best.

"Okay okay chill Luna, I'm coming!" Leo called back to his sister as he leaped up from the duel waiting room sofa and over to the door where his sister and friends waited. 

"How ya feeling buddy? Nervous?" Crow questioned whilst gently ruffling Leo's turquoise-green hair. 

"The great and powerful Leo? Nervous? Neveeeeeeer!" Leo cheered jumping up and down, throwing his arms up. Everyone chuckled, happy to see how excited Leo was and at the same time amused.

"That's the spirit, but remember, stay focused, don't get too ahead of yourself and-" "don't get too stuck using my favourite cards and combos, adapt to my opponent, try to anticipate their strategy, but don't jump to conclusions as to what they're going to do" Yusei started but Leo confidently and proudly finished, remembering everything Yusei had talked to him about.

"Exactly." Yusei smiled, proud that Leo had really been taking in all his advice and remembering it. 

"You'd better go get up there, we'll all be watching from the stands, you'll do great Leo" Yusei assured him with a soft pat on the shoulder

"Knock em dead kid!" Jack added enthusiastically, offering Leo a fist bump which he eagerly accepted before running off into the stadium grounds to take his position on the elevator which would lift him up onto the duel field. 

Yusei, Jack, Crow, Akiza and Luna all made their way to the stands to watch. The tournament wasn't a serious championship one like the Fortune Cup, rather a friendly competition for duelists from all round to test their abilities and see how they fare dueling in front of large crowds to prep them for the more intense challenges they may face. Regardless, Leo treated it as though he were in a great championship competition, dueling was a huge passion of his and no challenge was too small for him. 

"I wonder what his opponent will be like?" Akiza questioned, glancing to look at her friends.

"We may find out if his opponent ever decides to turn up, what's taking them so long?" Jack asked disgruntled, eyes narrowed and arms crossed, tapping his fingers on his elbow.