Chapter 22 - Not So Smooth Test Drive

Aria felt the wind rush through her as she raced along the tracks, everyone was surprised with how swiftly she was able to get on the duel runner and start it up, it was as though she'd done it a hundred times before. Yusei, Jack and Crow all rode close behind on their own vehicles with the twins joining Akiza on hers. The feeling of the wind rushing past her made her feel so alive, so happy, so free. This overwhelming feeling of pure joy made her emotional but also gave her a sense of excitement and confidence. Yusei and the others had done more than just gift her a duel runner. Thinking of Yusei taking all that time to build this for her made her flustered, he was so selfless and giving, and a maybe little stubborn.

Hah, a bit like me in that regard, Aria thought to herself as she blushed under her helmet visor.

During their drive she had the time to realise that whenever she was around Yusei, especially after their awkward kitchen incident, that she always had this warm, tugging feeling in her chest she couldn't explain. Every time she was insecure, he made her confident, every time she was down, he made her smile. Of course all of her friends helped her in such ways but when she was with Yusei she felt different, she wasn't sure why, or what this meant, just that she felt more connected to Yusei in some way, more so than she did with the rest of her friends.

"How about one of us gives Aria a duel to really test her skills on a duel runner!" Aria was pulled out of her thoughts by hearing Akiza shout.

Aria chuckled and looked back to all of her friends before turning her head back to the road, she wasn't hoping to crash today. She stuck her right arm out to her side, giving them all a thumbs up signal.

"I like the sound of that, which one of you will it be then?" She called back with confidence.

"How about me..."

The gang all glanced back in surprise, the revving engine of another duel runner along with a voice of a female they had never heard before came from behind them. As they looked, they all widened their eyes in horror, this figure was cloaked and had a dark aura about them just like the dark duellists they'd faced before. As if on cue their signer marks burned intensely, when Aria saw this she truly began to feel scared, she didn't want her friends to get hurt.

"Who are you and what do you want!" Aria shouted and she skidded her duel runner to a halt. Her friends all did so too, stopping just a few meters behind her. 

The cloaked woman stopped her own duel runner and her and Aria faced each other off as she slowly did something the duellists before did not; she removed her hood. Her skin was pale and blemish free, her hair a deep obsidian black that flowed down to her waist and her eyes ruby red.

"Namira, and I want you!" Namira shrieked and with the wave of her hand they both instantly became shrouded in a thick crimson mist

"Nooo!" Yusei cried out as he leapt off his duel runner, sprinting towards the mist.