Chapter 23 ~ It's Called War

It was now the evening and Aria was back at home with the boys, resting on her bed, absentmindedly looking out of the window. Since it was Autumn now, the leaves had transitioned from lime, grass and dark greens to all shades of red, orange and yellows. The world, although colder, was still equally as bright and colourful in Autumn as it was during Spring and Summer,  maybe more so in cities due to the lack of wild flowers and more trees, hedges and bushes. There wasn't so many trees in New Domino or the Satellite, but enough for Aria to appreciate the change in seasons. She was glad there was so many things to be able to focus on and take her mind off what had happened that day. She was glad she won the duel, but she felt sad, sad that a young woman who seemed about her age, with so much skill, would be on the path that she was; the path of evil and darkness. She hoped that if she ever met Namira again, and she was expecting sometime soon she might, that she could convince her to be good like the signers and help them. Aria quickly shook her head in defeat, she knew that was not worth having any high hopes for.

As Yusei made his way by the living room on his way to his own bedroom he paused and coughed slightly to gain Aria's attention.

"How are you feeling?" Yusei asked.

"Shocked and tired to be honest." Aria replied, tiredness was evident in her voice.

"I guessed you would be, I'm just glad you're okay."

"I know today wasn't exactly all chill like you were hoping it to be, but I still am so grateful for what you've all done for me. Not just the act of building that thing, but before Namira came after me, when I was riding my runner I felt...free. I was just so happy and forgot about all my worries and just embraced the feeling of the wind, hah, it sounds sappy I know."

Yusei paused after what Aria said. She truly had grown out of her shell since she first arrived and he couldn't be more proud of her. She was more confident everyday, more articulate and her kindness was always never ending.

"You still seem troubled though, what exactly happened during your duel?" Yusei finally spoke.

"Well, after I won I tried to ask why she's doing what she's doing, that she was a skilled duellist and could do so much more with her life, she wouldn't listen and drove off." Aria responded with a heavy sigh, resting her chin on her knees.

"I see. Well Aria, thing is, people like that are difficult to change, no matter how hard you try. At the end of the day she's on their side, what makes her different from everyone else we've seen?"

"She's like me Yusei. She looks my age and is truly skilled to be frank. I-I'm just sad that someone so like me ended up on such a different path." 

Yusei sighed and made his way over to sit next to Aria on the bed, taking one of her hands in his gently.

"Unfortunately not everyone will walk down the right road." He informed her gently.

"Yeah, I know." Aria admitted in defeat.

Yusei squeezed Aria's hand slightly, as a sort of 'it will be okay' signal, she squeezed his back and they both sighed. Yusei's thoughts ran through his head like wildfire, should he tell her how he felt during the moment they had? Would it be the right time if at all? 

Perhaps not tonight. Yusei thought to himself, Aria had enough on her mind right now.

"Well, you get some sleep, you need it." Yusei said softly. Their hand hold lingered for a short moment before Yusei let go, nodded to Aria with a warm smile and headed to his room.

Aria stared at her hand when Yusei left. The warmth from his remained and she laughed quietly to herself before sliding under her quilt and resting her head on her pillow, gazing out at the moonlight.