Chapter 11

Days passed since the fundraising event and Hansen spent his free time going around the island and going to Jim's family BBQ

Days passed since the fundraising event and Hansen spent his free time going around the island and going to Jim's family BBQ. He liked visiting other popular spots on the island of O'ahu. As he went around the island, he enjoyed hearing the ocean breeze and the sounds of the birds in the trees, and seeing the clear blue sky, with the sun shining so bright, its rays causing the water to sparkle.

He saw children laughing and running around freely in place as they went out and about. The world would never know such sadness until it felt pain. He thought back to when he was fighting in the war and all the blood that was shed.

As he was walking along the shore of a lagoon in Ko'Olina, behind the Four Seasons Hotel, he saw a local family of four - a couple with their son and daughter. The parents were helping their kids build a simple sandcastle. He saw the way the parents looked at each other like they were in love and the way they looked at their children like they were their world.

True Love, he thought to himself.

That was the future he pictured having with Hannah. A tiny part of him sometimes wished that he hadn't joined the military. If he hadn't joined the military, Hannah would have never felt alone - the loneliness that drove her to have an affair with Phil. Hansen shook his head and pushed the bad thoughts out of his mind, and walked quickly past the happy family on the beach.

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

At the sound of his cellphone ringing, he pulled it out of his back pocket and saw that it was Jim calling him. He accepted the call and held the phone to his ear, still walking by the lagoon in Ko'Olina.

"Jim," he said in greeting.

"Hey Hansen. I'm at the Waianae Police station right now." Jim replied. 

Before Jim signed up for the military, he was a policeman at the Waianae Police Station. He still worked there after he came home from a mission that he was assigned to. His father, grandfather and great grandfather were policemen. Hansen knew that Jim worked at the Waianae Police Station. What he didn't know, was the reason why Jim called him.

"Okay, and . . ." Hansen replied, trailing off at the end.

"I've called because there's someone I want you to meet. I'm coming to get you. I'll meet you in an hour in front of the hotel," said Jim

Hansen nodded and replied, "Yeah. I'll be there."

Hanging up the phone, he went back to the hotel to shower before he went to the station. Because of the weather in Hawai'i, he decided to dress casual. He slipped on the white T-shirt and blue denim jeans he packed. Grabbing his wallet and cell, he headed out the door and to the front of the hotel.

When he stepped out of the elevator and came to the front, he didn't have to wait long before Jim pulled up in his Nissan Titan. He opened the door and sat in the passenger seat, buckling in his seatbelt after closing the door.

Turning to Jim, he asked, "So who is this person you want me to meet?"

"My father," Jim said chuckling. "He's the chief officer at the police station." again said Jim.

Hansen nodded. He'd never met any of Jim's family members before, other than his wife and daughter. Both of them were lovely and kind. They really showed the "Aloha Spirit." They never made him feel unwelcome. It took about a good half hour's drive to get to the police station in Waianae. The tall building had a beautiful 10-panel ceramic mural called "Na Kumu Kānāwai " that adorned the outside of the police station. There was a small parking lot in the front of the station.

(Na Kumu Kānāwai means Foundations of Law)

Getting out of the car and walking toward the front entrance, Hansen and Jim opened the door to the main entrance. There was a waiting room and to the side of that was an information desk. They walked through the door, past the junior officer's office, and to the chief officer's office.

Jim turned to Hansen and said, "This is it," nodding his head towards the door before they walked in.

An old man with pepper salt hair sat on an office chair behind a big brown desk. Two chairs were in front of it with their backs facing the door of the office. A bookshelf stood by the wall and a picture of plumerias and hibiscus hung on the wall. Jim's father stood up behind the desk to greet Hansen and his son. Oscar Kala had been in the police force for over forty years.

Oscar walked toward the two men walking into his office. He shook Hansen's hand in greeting and took a seat behind his desk. Jim and Hansen both sat in the chairs facing him. 

"So good to finally meet you," said Oscar.

"Same here to you too sir," replied Hansen.

"My son tells me that you were both in the same unit and were both a part of the Special Forces when you were overseas," said Oscar.

"That's right sir," replied Hansen, always respectful to his elders.

"He also told me how you saved his life." Oscar choked up a bit. He was so grateful for him saving his son's life. If it wasn't for Hansen, his son wouldn't be alive and sitting in front of him today. 

"He's my brother and best friend, sir," replied Hansen.

"If there's anything you need, let me know," said Oscar.

Jim leaned back in his chair. "Of course I would. You're the only haole I get along with," he replied jokingly.

(Haole means a Caucasian person.)

"So what would y—" said Oscar. The sound of knocking interrupted him. 

Knock!

Knock!

Knock!

Two big burly men dressed in uniforms walked into the office. They looked at Hansen and Jim, then at their chief.

"Manuia," said Oscar nodding at the man on the left. "Iosefa," he said nodding at the other man.

"Hey, Chief," both men said in unison.

"These two men are my best officers," Oscar said to Jim and Hansen with pride, motioning toward the two police officers who had just entered.

Manuia and Iosefa puffed out their chests in pride. Proud of their achievements and how hard they work. They looked at Jim and Hansen being unimpressed with them. Manuia and Iosefa knew that their chief's son was in the army, but they didn't ever care to ask more questions about his son. A lot of men and women in Hawai'i joined the military, so it wasn't uncommon to come across another person in the military so quickly.

 A lot of men and women in Hawai'i joined the military, so it wasn't uncommon to come across another person in the military so quickly