Chapter 39

After they got married, Thanya moved in with Hansen at his house by the beach in Waianae. They insisted that Sandy move in with them, but she denied their invitation every time. They only gave up, when she agreed to Thanya and Hansen checking on her from time to time. Sandy appreciated it, because she knew they were doing it because they cared. She was so glad that Thanya and Hansen were back together.

One day, when Dan and Belle came down to visit from Alabama, they stayed in one of the guest rooms at Hansen's house. Thanya woke up from her sleep one morning when she heard Belle and Hansen in the kitchen. She put on her prosthetic legs and headed to the kitchen downstairs. Dan was still sleeping, but would wake up soon.

"Good morning!" greeted Thanya with sleepy eyes.

Belle smiled and kissed her daughter-in-law on the cheek. "Good morning, honey. Sit down, breakfast is almost ready."

"Mom, you're our guest. You don't need to do the cooking. It should be us cooking for you," said Thanya.

After they got married, Belle demanded that Thanya call her Mom. Belle loved Thanya and Thanya liked Belle, too. She was always kind to her. Dan, on the other hand, never insisted on being called Dad. He was just fine with her calling him by his first name. In fact, he preferred it.

"Don't worry, dear. I enjoy doing this for the both of you," said Belle. Belle gestured at Thanya to go to the dining room and sit at the table, then laid the plate of breakfast in front of Thanya.

"Good morning," Hansen said to his wife, as he greeted her with a kiss.

Thanya kissed him back. "So, what are we doing today?" asked Thanya.

"Mom and Dad are going to just relax back at the house. How about you and I head down to the beach for a swim?" said Hansen.

Thanya nodded. She liked it when they went to the beach. She was especially glad that it was a few steps away from the house. She quickly finished her breakfast and decided to changed into a swimsuit. She was able to do a lot more things by herself, so she didn't need help putting on her clothes any more.

"I'm going to check the mail. I'll be right back," said Thanya.

"Okay," said Hansen as he packed some food for Thanya and himself in a basket.

Thanya walked to the mailbox and when she looked inside, there was a small rectangular box. It was just small enough to slip into the hold of the mailbox. She grabbed that along with other letters below it. She looked for the name of the sender on the box, and saw that it was from her friend Kita. She started to wonder what it was.