Chapter 23

Hansen and Thanya talked and talked for hours

Hansen and Thanya talked and talked for hours. When it started getting really dark, they both realized how fast time had flown by. Hansen enjoyed the conversation and never wanted the date to end. He didn't know when he was ever going to get one again. He knew that even if he did, it would probably be days from now, before he got another one. It took him almost a year to get this one. He couldn't keep pulling her car over every time, just to try and get a date with her.

Thanya helped Hansen put the blankets and food back into the basket. Then they both stood up and she walked with him slowly back to the parking lot. It was quiet and there was a awkward silence as they continued walking, both of them not knowing what to say next.

As they exited the pathway of the lagoon to the stoplight, Hansen smoothly grabbed Thanya's hand with his free hand and walked with her. No words were exchanged. Thanya didn't say anything, too surprised that he just grabbed her hand. She didn't know whether to shake it off or to grip his in return. In the end, she didn't do anything. She just kept walking, and let Hansen hold her hand. She looked down as they walked, her hair hiding her expression like a curtain stage.

Hansen stayed quiet, not saying anything. He didn'twant to say something that would ruin the moment. He just looked ahead andcontinued walking with a grin on his face. He liked the feel of her soft hand in his. This was the second time he was able to touch her. She may put on acold façade, but her hand was warm and he was sure, so was her heart.

They paused at the stoplight and waited after pressing the button. As they both waited for the light to change, Hansen turned to Thanya.

"What are you doing after school tomorrow?" he asked Thanya.

The light changed, and as they crossed to head back to their cars, Thanya already knew her answer. She wasn't doing anything, but she didn't want him to know that. She enjoyed the date, but she didn't want to show him how much she did.

"I've got a family thing I have to go to," she replied, looking away from him.

She was bad at lying and could never look someone in the eye when lying.

Hansen turned to her. Over time, he learned how to tell when someone was lying. For some people, they gave the signs away faster than others. Thanya was the one who, gave it away quickly. Hansen didn't think Thanya knew how bad of a liar she was. In the past, with her tricks she pulled on him, he could tell when she was lying back then too. He never made a big deal out of it because he thought it was cute.

"What about after that?" asked Hansen.

"I have to feed my cat," replied Thanya.

"Cat?" Hansen repeated in a doubtful tone. "Yes. His na-name is . . .," Thanya stuttered, "Cat." "You have a cat named Cat?" asked Hansen.

He wanted to laugh at the absurdity of her lie, but held it in.

"Yes!" Thanya said, with a firm nod.