Chapter 15

9 months later

It's been months since Hansen had started working at the police station in Waianae. After deciding to take the job, everything has been working out well for him. He and Hannah had gotten a divorce, and Hansen was ready to move on. He bought his own house near the beach in Makaha, loves his job, made new friends, and practically became part of the kala family [Waking up to the sound of his phone ringing, Hansen grabbed his phone from the nightstand and saw Jim's name flashing on his screen.

"Hey man." Hansen greeted, while yawning.

"Hey Hans. I know it's your day off on Mondays, but I wanted to ask you for a favor. Can you drop Lei and Malia off to school today." replied Jim.

Kanani was now pregnant and always has complications. So someone has to stay by her incase anything happens. Jim had taken time off from work, to watch over her since it was getting nearer to her due date too. Jim and his wife decided to wait till the day the baby came to find out the gender. Everyone was excited about the baby and they had yet to come up with a name.

"Of course man. What time should I come by the house?" asked Hansen.

"7:00. They start school at 8:00. I made breakfast, so you can just eat at ours." replied Jim.

Hansen had gotten close to the two little girls, Leilani and Malia. Leilani, called him "Uncle Handsome" after hearing her dad call him "Handsome" multiple times, not realizing that her dad was joking. Hansen, on the other hand found it amusing, and encouraged her to keep calling him "Handsome." Malia just called him "Uncle". Even though they weren't related, it was normal for people in Hawai'i to call people older than them, "Aunty" or "Uncle." Hansen never minded it, in fact he liked it. It made him feel a part of the family. Hansen looked at the time and saw that it was 6:30am, and he had plenty of time. He didn't live to far from Jim so he didn't need to rush.

"Okay, I'll be there soon." said Hansen.

"Thanks man." said Jim.

"Any time." replied Hansen, right before he hung up.

Standing up to get ready, he walked to the bathroom and brushed his teeth. He couldn't help but think about what his life would be like if he didn't take the offer and decided to go back home. He knew if he did, he wouldn't be happy like how he was now. Walking out of the bathroom, he changed his clothes, grabbed his car keys and walked out of the house.

Jim's house was gated and Hansen had to call him every time he came over. He might as well have keys to the gate. Instead of Jim coming to open the gate, Leilani and Malia came to the gate. Before opening the gate they decided to mess with Hansen.

"Password." said Malia, causing Leilani to giggle. Malia was practically a sister to Leilani and they had gotten close.

Hansen raised his eyes and replied "You both change it every time. How am I supposed to know it?"

Malia tilted her head in thought and replied "Okay, fine. You can pass."

Both the little girls opened the gate allowing Hansen to pass through. Rushing toward him, they gave him a hug and closed the gate, each girl grabbing his hand and pulling him into the house. Hansen walked into the kitchen while the little girls walked back to the dining table.

"Hey man, perfect timing. Breakfast is ready." said Jim. as he walked out of the kitchen. Kanani was sitting down eating her food, and looked up at Hansen.

"Good morning," Kanani greeted, while she hugged Hansen hello.

"Good morning," replied Hansen, with a smile.