Chapter 28

Meanwhile, back in Alabama

It was  just another beautiful, bright and sunny Sunday morning in the small town of Oakstine. Belle Hayworth woke up at 7 a.m. every morning to make her husband breakfast. She turned to her side, and kissed Dan's forehead, causing him to wake up. She stood up and went to the wheelchair that they used for Dan to get around.

Pushing it back to the bed and helping Dan settle into the chair, they both headed to the bathroom to brush their teeth and hair. Once they were done, they went to the kitchen to start making breakfast. The sound of their home phone ringing caught their attention. They kept their cellphones off on Sundays, because they didn't want anyone bothering them. It was their relaxation day.

Belle wondered who it could be. She was guessing it was one of her neighbors calling to order one of her famous pies that she would sell from time to time. The one thing everyone in Oakstine was sure of was Belle Hayworth's talent in making the best pie around. Everyone loved her pies, and she took pride in them.

"Hello?" greeted Belle, after accepting the call.

"Good morning, Mrs. Hayworth. I was calling for Mr. Hayworth," replied a man's voice.

"He's right here," said Belle, as she passed her husband the phone.

"Dan Hayworth here," greeted Dan, as he put the phone to his ear.

He headed to the table in the kitchen and gazed at his beautiful wife as she started to cook him breakfast in the kitchen. He smiled at her and winked when she looked his way. They'd been married for over thirty years, and they still acted like young lovers. The fire never died in their relationship.

"It's me, sir," was the immediate reply.

"Did you find anything?" asked Dan. 

"Nothing," replied the man.

"Well keep looking," ordered Dan.

"I'm sorry, sir," replied the voice on the other side of the line.

"I don't want your apologies. I want answers!" said Dan in an angry voice. 

 "No. That's just the thing, sir . . ." the man replied hesitantly, as if he desperately didn't want to say what he had to say next.

Dan could tell by the tone of the voice, that he was not going to like what he was about to hear. He gulped and started to feel his heartbeat pounding faster. He waited for the words that would kill him to hear. It definitely felt like it when they were finally uttered.

"They were able to sneak onto one of our planes," said the man on the phone.

"That's great! That means th—" said Dan.

"Unfortunately the plane got shot down by rebels . . . They didn't make it," said the man, cutting off Dan.

"No!" Dan screamed in agony.

They didn't make it.

They didn't make it.

They didn't make it.

Those words kept replaying over and over again in his head. Dan felt like his world had fallen apart.

He started crying immensely and held his head in his hands, a defeated look on his face. "Honey, what's wrong?" Belle asked in a worried tone.

She stopped what she was doing and rushed to her husband. Dan's head started to get dizzy and he felt like he couldn't breathe. He looked at his wife and started touching his heart. He felt like he was having a heart attack.

They didn't make it.

Those were the last words that echoed in his mind before his eyes shut, and darkness claimed him.