Chapter 11.4: Jaehyun-ah

Taeyong jumped up, a look of horror displayed on his face. He sprinted to the door he had disappeared behind before and threw it open. The others followed him quickly not sure what had happened and what they were supposed to do.

Taeyong was cradling a tall boy who lay limp in his arms. A few things lay strayed across the floor, such as a few books and a basketball which was still rolling around.

"Jaehyun-ah, can you hear me?" Taeyong called out for the boy in a panicked, high-pitched voice. Jaehyun blinked profusely in response but that didn't lessen Taeyong panic.
He was holding him extremely close. However, Jaehyun didn't move and was just lying in Taeyong's arms.

"Jaehyun-ah!" Ten recognized his young friend himself. What was he doing here? But more importantly, how was he doing?

"Hyung, can you let go of him? Let's put him on the bed first," Doyoung slowly pulled Jaehyun out of Taeyong's grasp and gestured for Ten to help him lift the boy onto the huge bed in the middle of the room.

As soon as he was laid down, Jaehyun scrunched his face in pain and Doyoung felt the back of Jaehyun's head and discovered a small bump there. He turned him to the side slightly so he wouldn't put pressure on the injury.

Sicheng went over and patted Taeyong's shoulder comfortingly. A few tears had escaped Taeyong's eyes and were running down his face but he didn't move nor make a sound and continued to stare at Jaehyun in worry.

Jaehyun was still blinking around weirdly. Doyoung put his hand over Jaehyun's eyes. "Please close your eyes, Jaehyun-shi. Calm down first," he instructed in a calm voice.
He lifted his hand slowly and was satisfied to see that Jaehyun had closed his eyes.

"Try to take a deep breath. Everything is fine," Doyoung reassured and Jaehyun's rapid breathing seemed to slow.
"Taeyong-hyung, come here and hold his hand," Doyoung waved Taeyong over. Still in tears, Taeyong let himself be led to the bed by Sicheng and sat down at Jaehyun's side. Doyoung slowly guided Jaehyun's hand to Taeyong's which seemed to calm Jaehyun down a bit more.

"You can now open your eyes slowly but don't look around hastily. Taeyong-hyung is on your right. You can slowly move your eyes to him," Doyoung spoke slowly. Jaehyun did as instructed but a frown appeared on his face when he saw the crying Taeyong.

"Can you hear me? Please nod slowly," Doyoung asked of Jaehyun. Jaehyun nodded slowly.
"Does your head hurt or do you feel nauseous or dizzy?" Doyoung asked for any abnormalities. Jaehyun nodded his head again and closed his eyes.

"Do you have a cold compress at home?" Doyoung asked Taeyong who had managed to surpress his tears. Taeyong shook his head.
"Just ice or frozen peas?" Doyoung tried again. Taeyong nodded. "Can you go get that? Or would Ten or Sicheng be able to find it?"

"The freezer is labeled," Taeyong answered not wanting to leave Jaehyun's side. "Bring a dishcloth or some kind of cloth too," Doyoung instructed Ten. Ten nodded and left the room.
"Everyone, please be quiet. We can't stress or surprise him," Doyoung warned when Ten got back. He wrapped the bag of ice in the cloth and carefully held it to the small bump on Jaehyun's head. Jaehyun opened his eyes at the unfamiliar feeling but closed them again when Taeyong held a hand to his cheek softly.

"Can you get him some water?" Doyoung asked no one in particular. "And do you have some paracetamol at home?" Doyoung asked Taeyong and he nodded. Taeyong led Sicheng and Ten out of the room and closed the door quietly. He led them back to the living room.

"How about you two continue watching the movie? Doyoung and I will take care of things. Don't worry too much. You've already helped enough," Taeyong smiled at the boys gratefully. They knew that they couldn't do anything but stand by and look and Doyoung seemed to have everything under control.

Ten and Sicheng nodded obediently and sat down in front of the television again.
Taeyong went to get the requested water and paracetamol and came back to the room.
"Can you sit up?" Doyoung asked Jaehyun when Taeyong entered the room. Jaehyun nodded again and slowly sat up with Doyoung's help.

"How are you feeling, Jaehyun-shi? Can you try to answer?"
Jaehyun opened his mouth and spoke slowly and very quietly, "I have a headache. I'm a little dizzy but not so much now. Before, my vision was a little blurry."
Doyoung sighed. "Let's take some medicine first." He gestured for Taeyong to help Jaehyun take the pill and drink the water.

"Drink everything," Doyoung instructed when Jaehyun was about to put the half empty glass down.
Taeyong put the glass to Jaehyun's lips again and he drank everything obediently.

"Do you want to lay down again?" Doyoung asked. Jaehyun answered "No" so Doyoung nodded and helped Jaehyun move up to lean on the wall.
He waited a few minutes before he asked again. "Have you calmed down now?"

Jaehyun nodded and said with his eyes closed, "Thank you for all your help, um..."
"This is Doyoung, Jaehyun-ah. He's a friend from University," Taeyong finally introduced Doyoung.
"Thank you, Doyoung-shi," Jaehyun smiled genuinely although his eyes were closed.

"Let's wait ten more minutes and have you open your eyes then," Doyoung suggested.
"Tell me about yourself, Jaehyun-shi. You have a lot of English books and movies. And I guess you like basketball?" he tried to distract Jaehyun.

Jaehyun nodded and started talking about his favorite books, old movies and friends he used to play basketball with before he came to Korea. Thirty minutes later Jaehyun asked for permission to open his eyes. Doyoung agreed and Jaehyun slowly peeked both eyes open.
"Ah, it's not blurry anymore." Doyoung and Taeyong sighed relieved and looked at each other with a smile on their face.

"Alright, I should leave now. I'll take the other two with me. Jaehyun-shi will need plenty of rest. We can meet some other time, Taeyong-hyung."
Taeyong nodded and smiled gratefully. He would have to explain to his friends but he would have some time to think before that.

"You should lay down and sleep now, Jaehyun-shi. You can try to read or watch TV with low volume when you wake up. Don't look at your phone too much. Don't do anything strenuous for one or two days. Please don't go to University or work either. You should see how you feel in two days and decide then," Doyoung advised.

He went to the living room to get the other two. "How is he?" They were as worried about Jaehyun's condition l.
"He's fine. He needs some rest so we should leave for now," Doyoung explained. They looked down dejectedly but nodded.
Doyoung patted their heads comfortingly. "We can meet up some other time. Do you guys feel like having a midnight snack? Let's go to your dorm and I'll make you something," he tried to console them. Immediately, their eyes lit up at the mention of a midnight snack.

"I'm sorry it turned out this way," Taeyong apologized.
"Don't worry, hyung. We're your friend's. We understand. Take care of Jaehyun-shi," Sicheng smiled in a reassuring way.
Taeyong nodded and promised Ten to deliver his "Get well"-message to Jaehyun.

"You should watch him the next few days. Make sure he drinks enough water. If he vomits, faints, has a nosebleed or anything, take him to the hospital. Call me if you need help," Doyoung left more instructions.
"Thank you, Doyoung-ah. You've been such a great help today. I wouldn't have known what to do if you hadn't been here," Taeyong hugged him close.

Doyoung patted Taeyong's back. "Don't worry too much. He probably just hit his head. He'll be fine."

So yeah, this is kind of a special to celebrate Ten's birthday. The story will most probably continue normally next chapter. Anyway, happy birth to my NCT bias!!
(although Kun is threatening to steal that spot😅 but that's just the task of a bias wrecker)