Chapter 13: rookie

Jung Jaehyun, a famous and renowned model. A man who had walked on runways all over the world at the hottest fashion shows and who was a veteran in the model industry at the age of 21.

That man was chatting with Mark amiably about the latest music releases and funny memes until someone came to tell Jaehyun that he had to get ready.

Immediately, his demeanor changed.
"Time to work." Despite his smile he suddenly seemed more distant.
He showed Lucas around at the bustling set.

"Here's the styling area," Jaehyun walked quickly and briefly pointed at the few seats. He waved for a stylist as he walked by and asked for the clothes for the shoot. "The bathroom's over there."

"Thank you," he took the outfits handed to him as he kept walking. "You can change into these. Over there are the dressing rooms. Come to the styling area afterwards so they can do your make-up. This is a spring-themed photoshoot so put on a sunny smile. I'll help you so don't worry."

Lucas nodded. He was a little insecure at the disappearance of Jaehyun's chatter and friendly smile. Still, he decided to listen and went to change first.

"Here Mark. You can sit here and watch. I need to get my makeup fixed."
Jaehyun placed Mark on a chair right next to the photographer. Mark sat down obediently but immediately felt out of place. He felt like a child on "Bring-your-kids-to-work"-day.

"Jaehyun's friend?" the photographer held out his hand.
Mark nodded. He wasn't sure whether they were friends but Jaehyun had acted pretty friendly with him earlier.

He shook the guy's hand, "I'm Mark."
"I'm Key. I've worked with Jaehyun a few times but this is the first time he brought someone to a shoot. Actually, this is the first time he's brought anybody to his work. Even at fashion galas he always comes alone and nobody has ever said they were friends with him. He's not close with anybody as far as we know. He's very secretive. He's nice to everybody but maintains a professional distance. Nobody knows who he's really friends with or whether he even has any."

"We just met recently," Mark admitted. Surely, Jaehyun didn't want him to talk about his friends if he didn't even himself.

Just then Jaehyun came back. He saw how Lucas came out and sat him down to get his hair styled and make-up done.

"Let's start, shall we?" Jaehyun said and everybody nodded and moved.
"Minho-ya, you're first!" Key called and a tall guy walked in.
"I know we've known each other for years but you should at least address me formally at work, Kibum-ah!" the model Minho replied grumpily.

"Don't bicker today!" the coordinator whose nametag read "Jay" warned them both. "Be professional for at least a day! I don't want to put up with your bickering every shoot!"

He silently motioned at Jaehyun and the two immediately shut up and focused. It seemed like everyone was eager to leave a good impression on Jaehyun.

When Minho was done and had also checked his photos, Jaehyun walked forward.

"Lucas!" Jaehyun called across the set and Lucas whipped his head around.
"Do you remember what I told you to do earlier?"
"Put on a sunny smile," Lucas repeated the words.

Jaehyun smiled proudly. "I'll help you so stand next to Mark and observe me for now. It'll be your turn after me."
Murmurs went around the set.

"Isn't that too cruel?"
"Making the newbie go after Jung Jaehyun."
"The poor guy."
"Jung Jaehyun will scare him."

Jaehyun went to the middle of the set with a serious look. Key adjusted his camera and gave an "okay-sign".
"I'll start taking photos now."

Immediately, Jaehyun put on a bright smile.
As if a switch had been turned on, delight and joy suddenly lit up his whole face. It was as if the right feelings at the right moment had been captured on his face.

A smile produced in less than a second couldn't possibly be genuine, right?
However, his smile just felt so real and lit up the whole studio. Suddenly, the whole studio was lit up by warm sunshine as Jaehyun laughed wholeheartedly.

Actually, he wasn't making any sound but the happiness he radiated was resonating in the studio, loudly.
Next, Jaehyun sat down on a prop and turned to the camera sideways not dropping his sunny smile even once.

He then toned down his smile a little instead opting to gaze at the camera lovingly. With his change in expression a gentle spring breeze seemed to blow through the studio and bewitch everyone else making them wonder which lucky person made Jaehyun develop this longing gaze.

After a few minutes all the photos needed were taken and Key announced that Jaehyun was done.
Just as fast as spring came it disappeared again and Jaehyun's earlier professional aura returned.

Warm sunrays and fresh spring breezes were exchanged with the white light of the studio's lighting and the hesitant chatter of both staff and models.

This must be Jaehyun's talent. 'This must be why everyone admires Jaehyun,' Lucas thought.
He's a real professional model. This must be what modeling is. Capturing just the right feeling at the right time in one moment.

"It's your turn, Lucas," Jaehyun pulled him out of his thoughts.
Lucas nodded. He went to the middle of the set where Jaehyun had stood previously and stood still, his legs together and his arms straight.

He was nervous. Everyone was watching him for some reason. They were expectant. This was the first time anyone aside from his manager had ever accompanied Jaehyun.
Who was this rookie Jaehyun had pulled some strings for?

"Don't be so timid. I'm going to help you."
His professional smile disappeared and he was more of an older brother guiding his sibling. He suggested poses Lucas could try and gave advice as to how his expression should look. He was the perfect mentor.

This was not the Jaehyun everybody knew. The Jaehyun they knew only answered when asked something and only helped when urgently needed.

Despite Jaehyun's effort Lucas was too nervous. Tons of famous people were here and watching him. A guy he barely knew was trying his best to coach him despite his constant failures.

Jay sighed after 15 minutes of stiff expressions and shy poses.
"Let's take a short break."

"I'm sorry," Lucas was hanging his head low.
"Don't worry about it. I knew that you were coming here without any experience after all. I should have met up with you first. Anyway, we'll do something about this. Don't worry. Calm down for now," Jaehyun patted Lucas' back comfortingly and went over to the coordinator.

"Hey, it's okay. Anybody can be nervous. You can do it," Mark smiled at his friend and Lucas nodded bravely.

Jaehyun soon came back after a quick talk. "Lucas, I thought of something and talked to the coordinator. How about we make your photo a group shot? Well, by" group" I mean you and me. How about we try that? Maybe it will ease your mind?"

Lucas wasn't sure. A picture with Jung Jaehyun? That itself was a gift but would he improve if they were to stand together? He wasn't sure but he couldn't do anything alone anyway. It was worth a try. Anything was worth a try.

He nodded and the two of them entered the set together.
Murmurs and whispers went around the set.

"First shoot and with Jung Jaehyun?"
"That rookie's so lucky!"

"When will I ever get that chance?"
"Jung Jaehyun never does group shots!"

"What strings did they pull?"
"How unfair!"

"Who does that rookie think he is?"
"He can't even do anything!"

The picture I used was originally green. Really green. I really tried my best to make it more normal but now it looks like my dad's college pictures😅

In case anyone was wondering who "Jay", the coordinator was. I'm an SM thrash and decided to use a lot of SM cameos in this book. Jae is from SM's band TRAX. I recently saw him in a drama so I was reminded of him.