I Hate Your Best Friend

Jen sighs. She can't concentrate at all. She doesn't care who that man is. Who is he to say she only falls in love for her art? Had she ever even fallen in love?

"Jennifer! Please focus!"

She looks up at Lionel before grabbing her things and walking out of the class. Lionel is very surprised by the little stunt she had just pulled. She had not gone to see him since the night they all had dinner together. Last time he heard Gerard had stopped bothering her but maybe he had lied. She would only see Thiago if he was visiting her.

"Well you're home early," Rafaella says.

"Rafa.. have you ever fallen in love?"

"Uh.. what's all this about?"

"What does it feel to fall in love?"

"I don't know.. people feel love differently I think. You're asking the wrong person.."

"Do you think Neymar and Leo are in love?"

"I sure hope not."

"Why not?" Jen asks.

"They're definitely rushing into things. Not long ago I thought Leo was in love with you."

"That's weird."

"The point is.. ever since Leo moved with little Thiago you have been the only person he's let in. All of a sudden he and Neymar meet and everything changes. I think they're excited and connect with each other because  they have kids with dead moms-"

"That's mean.."

"What I'm trying to say is... I don't think this will last.. they weren't even friends before this whole I like you as more than a friend happened. They don't know each other at all."

"But isn't that exciting? They get to know each other as everything," Jen smiles

"You watch too many movies, Jen. The real world doesn't let you fall in love that easily.."

"It could be so easy, though.. if you want it to be then it will be."

"You think so?"

"I really do."

//
"You need to leave."

Gerard looks at Lionel with a bored face. He doesn't say anything. Lionel Just told him to leave but he just woke up and his Brain doesn't process things until at least an hour after he has woken up.

"Why?" He asks.

"Jen Hates me because she hates you.. so you need to go."

"I'm your best friend."

"She's my best friend, Ger. She takes care of Thiago.. she makes him food and bathes him. She cleans the house and folds the laundry. She cooks my favorite food and reminds me to pay the god damn bills."

"Sounds more like a maid or a wife to me."

"She's not my maid," Lionel groans.

"So we're going with wife then?"

"She's my-"

"Last time I checked I was your best friend. And I didn't have to become your maid to get that title."

"Don't say that.. she knows.. she knows.."

"She's your student... and she cooks for you and takes care of your child for you. She reminds you to do shit you shouldn't need reminders for. You make her cook you so much crap she even knows what your favorite one is. And then to top it off.. you started dating her brother... who by the way, wasn't even a tiny bit gay before you two met. You're taking everything from her. I'd hate to be your best friend if that's how you treat them."

"The way you're saying it is making it sound horrible, Ger."

"Who is she to you? Because you don't treat best friends like that. I get that maybe she's offering to do some of these things for you but now you're just taking advantage. And by the way.. this .. what you're doing with her, is way more inappropriate than me trying to hit on her. At least I'm not her fucking teacher.. Leo, what's going on with you?"

"She looks like Anto."

Gerard sighs. Of course she does. She acts like her too. They sit down on his bed in silence. What should he say? What can he say?

"You actually like her brother though,right?"

"Uh.. yes.. it's weird.. it's different.. I think I do like him though.. I'm not sure.. we kissed and.. and I didn't need to know or evaluate anything else."

"Did you think you'd fall in love with her? When you first met her?"

"I'm not sure. When I saw her she was a kid.. a high school kid looking for an easy job so she could save up for college. She was really smart and eager to learn more and more. She'd come take care of Thiago and I'd teach her some stuff after he'd fall asleep. It felt like those high school years where anto didn't understand things so I'd have to tutor her all night long," he says laughing a little.

"You do realize she isn't Anto, right? She will never be Antonella."

"Who?"

Gerard and Lionel look up. Jennifer is standing in front of his door. Lionel gets up quickly and rushes to her. His eagerness worries Gerard a little.

"Jen.. I didn't think you'd be coming by today.."

"Thiago and I are having a little picnic date since the day is nice," she says.

"Oh that's why he wanted to put my cologne on," he laughs.

"Am I gonna have to compete with him?" Gerard pipes in.

"He already won."

Gerard acts hurt. Thiago isn't the only person that beat him to her heart. He shakes his head. She isn't Antonella and he won't lose her to Lionel or anyone else.

"Gerard is a tease, sorry," Lionel says looking down at her apologetically.

"I hate your best friend," she says before walking away.

"That just means she's into me," Gerard grins.

"I'm serious, Ger.. stop it. You can't pursue her."

"Why? Cause you want her?"

"You know that's not it."

"Then what is it? Because there is nothing stopping me from going for her. She's not that much younger than me.. and if she doesn't mind the fact that I'm basically an old man then it shouldn't matter to you."

"It's not the age difference.. it's the fact that you aren't a loyal man.. I will not let you hurt her."

"I won't."

"You don't even know her. You're just Obsessed with the fact that someone rejected you."

///

Lionel smiles down at the figure sleeping on his lap. He plays with Neymar's hair as the end credits of the movie play.

"How do you fall asleep when you're the one that wanted to watch this?" He laughs to myself.

"I've watched it a billion times," Neymar yawns.

"Cmon sleepy head lets go to bed."

Neymar gets up and rubs his eyes. He walks slowly up the stairs. Lionel chuckles. Neymar acts like a baby. Once Lionel enters his room, Neymar is already spread out all across the bed.

"I need to sleep too you know."

"I saved you some space.. please hurry I'm so sleepy."

Lionel turns the lights off and plops himself on the bed. Neymar wraps his arms around him and Lionel
Let's him take him down. Their lips meet shyly at first before their kisses become rougher.

"I want you."

//////

Whew! Love can be complicated :(