chapter 26

Dedicated to @Maariiyahxx

Chris didn't process what was happening at first. He thought she would just over look his words and walk away as she had began to do. But when he saw her walk to the dinning table, he was happy deep down.

Happy that she was ready to listen to him. To give him another chance. He didn't know how but all he could come up with was that his legs had their own mind. He was dumbstruck when she went to the dinning table and next he knows, he is settled on a seat.

He just hoped that after his long speech, she won't consider divorcing him as he had said. He didn't want that and he had no idea why? He was in love. In love with someone that he wanted to spent the rest of his life with. But now, he didn't understand why he wanted Maya to stay with him.

He wanted her to still be his. To be her friend. To see her everyday before she went to work and be the last one to see her before she went to bed. It still confused him himself but he had to have her. To have her as long as they could be together.

"Please go ahead and serve yourself," Chris said to her when he saw she was staring at the table.

It seemed too uncomfortable to her but he didn't mind. He had set the table for the two of them. And the white flowers in the middle, it was his way to apologize to her although he still had no idea of her favorite flowers. The candles made it worse and he just hoped she didn't read too much in between the lines.

"I mean, you must be starving," he said when he saw her not doing anything, "I called earlier at your office and your PA said you were at emergency room."

Of course, he was lying and he just hoped that was she there. Maya was a doctor and best at that so it's only fair that she had emergency. The truth was that he had no number what's so ever to conduct her if he ever needed to communicate with her.

He had no one to blame apart from himself. It was his fault that things had gotten out of hand. His that she had felt the pain she felt when she saw her dad after months of not seeing him. His for adding scars in her life and he wanted to make it right.

Right. Right for her to come back home knowing there is love there. Right to know she can always count on her husband when need comes up. That's what he wanted to do. To let her know that he cared. He cared despite everything. He still did and he will always do.

"Here," he said putting full serving spoon on her plate, "I made macaroni and beef," he opened another bowl,"I hope you do like it both and if you don't, I'll make something else."

Maya still said nothing to him. Once he was done serving, he watched her take her food to her mouth and he knew it was going well so far. So, he decided to wait till they're done eating. That gave him time to think of where to start from. Of what to say to avoid messing things up.

"I made desert," Chris spoke up once he saw she was done eating her food,"it's red velvet cake."

He had made that because it was his favorite and he had no idea what she loved as desert. But he had watched her when his mum had come to visit. She loved it since she eat all of it and that made him make it again.

"I'll get it," he got up and picked up the leftovers,"you can wait in the living room while I clean here."

Chris placed the leftovers in a plastic dishes then put them in the fridge. He was just about to walk back to the dinning to pick up the dirty utensils when he saw Maya carrying them. She placed them in a sink then walked out before he could thank her.

Chris pulled out two plates and served them desert. The rest, he put it in the fridge and walked to where Maya sat. He handed her the cake and took an opposite seat from her. He watched how she took her spoon to her mouth and close her eyes and she licked her lips.

This was something that he won't mind watching all day. He would sacrifice his nights for this. To see her lick her lips. Her full lips that he fell in love with the first time he saw them. Those lips that he was so determined to kiss at that moment.

Wait a minute, what are you thinking, Chris?

He shock his head from his evil thoughts and began to eat his red velvet cake. It was sweet but not as sweet as his mother's. She was the best and it was good thing she taught him how to cook. She saved him all the trouble of boiling water everyday. She was the best mother one could ever ask for.

That made him wonder when Maya's mother died. Everyone knew the governor's wife died many years ago but that made him want to know how old Maya was. Was she happy with her mom? Were they close or was she just like her father?

He wanted to know but would be in due time. He will let her be his friend before he asked any stupid question. He would win her trust first before anything. Before he makes any other stupid mistake in his life.

That's what he would do.

Baby step, Chris. We will take baby steps.

And that is if she will let him have another chance. That's all he was ask for. For another chance. And if he got it, he won't mess it. At least not anytime soon.

"There is this Africa proverb that says," he said placing his cake on a coffee table. Maya looked up at him and he knew that she was all ears. That's what he wanted. For her to listen and to hope that silent treatment will be over soon.

So it was better to speak now.

"It says that don't urinate on the river since your family will drink from that same river. But I did that. I urinated on this marriage and see, I'm the one drink the silent treatment you're giving me."

That's how he knew to start his apology.

                  ********

I know it's short and a filter which I'm really sorry. I'm also sorry for not updating last weekend, it's just my personal life needed more attention.

Also sorry for the unedited chapter. I know it's kinda worse than the previous ones but I was in a noisy place.

Haha... I kinda sound like Chris right now. I just hope he won't apologize that much.

Anyway, I'm updating on Friday. Stay tuned. 😃😃😃😃