chapter 28

Dedicated to @caffeinated_bookworm

"I never said I wanted a divorce," Maya said looking at him.

Chris locked his gaze with hers. He got scared when she began to talk and he thought that's what she needed. He didn't want to divorce her but he was ready if she said she wanted out of the marriage.

After all, it was his fault that the marriage never worked between the two of them. His and no one else. So the blame was all in him. He never tried even from the word go. All he saw was revenge. And look where it brought him. He ended up being like her father. The monster he was.

And now that he had apologize to her and promised that he would give her a divorce if she asked for it, he was ready. Ready to make up for his wrong decision. Ready to do right to her and if divorce was the right thing, he would grant Maya that. He would sign those papers even though he knew it would hurt him.

Why? He himself had no idea.

"If only you would let me finish talking," Maya said getting up from her couch, "I don't want to divorce you, Chris. I mean, you did me wrong. You scared the shit out of me every time you hurt me. I didn't want to go through what I went through with my dad and on my wedding day, I was happy.

"Happy that I was leaving my dad. Happy that he won't be able to hurt me because I'm going to be someone's wife. But when I saw you standing at the alter with revenge written all over your eyes, I said I was just reading too much in the line. I was just too happy to see what was coming my way. I mean, how can my husband hurt me.

"But then again, my own biological father hates me the most in the world. Then, what about the man that I just met a month ago and the following one we're getting married. I was too naive to see that. Too naive to believe that there were still beast like my dad out there. I thought it wouldn't get any worse than it was. So, I said I do without thinking. And from that time, you began your revenge."

Chris watched her wipe her tears away. She wasn't looking at him when she spoke but he felt her pain. All the men in her life has disappointed her. He was a beast just as she had called him. A beast.

"I wasn't happy because I married a wealth man and famous man like you thought. I mean, I've my own money. My life wasn't as everyone out there things. Yes, I was born with a silver spoon but I had to struggle. To educate myself. In Primary school, I used to fill those government papers so that I can have my fee paid. I was in boarding school since my dad was sick of seeing my ugly face as you once upon a time called it. I get it, I'm not beautiful but that doesn't mean I should be bullied about my looks. After all, we don't tell God how to create us. To me the Bible says I'm fearful and wonderful made.

"So after passing my primary exams, I had to join highschool and my dad wanted to sent me to a boarding school but my brother didn't allow it. He fought for me and because my dad loved him and listened to him, he allowed me to the same highschool my brother was. Of course, I had to pay my own school fees because according to my dad this time, he had no money to waste on bastard kid like me. But this time, I didn't use government funds at all. My brother helped me pay for my fee. I got a job at a clinic near my home where I was helping by cleaning and arranging things in order.

"Then my brother finished highschool and refused to be a doctor like my dad. He wanted to join army and my dad was very disappointed. So, he did what he thought was the best thing to do. He left home never to return till this day. I've not even heard a word from him. But he made sure that I was covered in my studies. He paid my fee and even left all his life time savings for me to use as my college fee. That's how I survived. That's how no one knows how my life wasn't as they think it was.