chapter 42

Dedicated to @Nadine-Ndifor

Chris walked downstairs hurt more than he thought was possible. He thought what Kimberly did to him was worse but Maya accusing words hurt him more than he thought he was hurt by his ex lover.

Yes, she was his ex lover. After what she did to him he wanted nothing to do to her. He even fired her but it was Kimberly he was dealing with. She would do anything not to be jobless.

Chris walked to the kitchen and made himself coffee. Where would he go with briefs anyway? It hurt him but he wasn't ready to leave Maya. At least not anytime soon. Or maybe unless she leaves him herself.

She said that she loved him. Maya Freeman loved a man like him. An animal who once saw pleasure in her pain. The beast who pushed her for sitting on his bed which now made nothing without her sleeping besides.

That was what hurt even more. That a woman like Maya would love a beast like him. This wasn't the fairly tale of the beauty and the beast but a reality thing.

It was his reality. Their reality but still she fall in love. She fall in love with him despite his misbehavior. She still did. Chris poured himself a cup of coffee and sat on the highland stood. Damn, he needed to think before he made any decision what so ever.

He placed the cup on his lips but he regretted the moment he did that. The damn this tasted bitter. If there was something that he had come to terms with was coffee. He had accepted that he would never make the same way Maya does dispute her showing him how to make it for more than he can count.

Chris pushed the mug away and walked to the music room. Maybe playing piano would make him make a better decision. A decision that won't hurt her or him at that matter. But walking in there only had him wishing that he hadn't.

How could he play the damn thing when he saw was Maya and him settled on that piano playing together. But it was a warm feeling which in a way had wiped away his hurt. He walked to the piano and sat down.

Chris began to play piano by Nick Minaj and as he played he couldn't help but think of the lyrics. Maybe he was playing Maya. He had played her for so long and she had let him play on. She allowed him to be a beast to her when she could have stopped him. When she could have said enough to him but instead she didn't.

She allowed him to play her. To play her like some piece of garbage. That's why she didn't think twice when she accused him few minutes ago. Because she didn't trust him and she was right not to trust him. She really was because he never gave her reason to trust him since they met...

Chris was jacked up when he had the music play in a different way and if he must add, perfect way. He knew he was off key but not that bad. He turned to his right and there she was, sited next to him.

Chris said nothing and neither did she as they continued to play along the piano. Her thoughts seemed to be far and he knew what she was thinking. She was think what he was thinking before she intruded.

Once the song was over, they all stared at space and let their unspoken words room around the room. It was funny but in a way it was peaceful. Peace that they both had no idea how long it will take before it left them.

"You were off key."

Yeah, that was what she said to him without looking at him. And him, he didn't know what to tell her at all.

"It has become an issue with me, I can't seem to play piano alone anymore."

How else were they supposed to act? She didn't glance at him still and he didn't mind. In fact deep down he was thankful for that.