Chapter 13: Mistakes and Anger (Aeron's P.O.V)

Eventually, Aeron stopped crying and got to work. Gavin stood facing thecorner, sad. Gavin used to love Arcadia when she was around, and to see herlooking so lifeless hurt him. It hurt Aeron, too. But crying and sulking wouldn't doanything; it wouldn't help her get better. As Aeron examined her, he noticed amajor detail that made him bite his lip before he broke out into more sobs. Arcadiawas wearing their mother's amulet. The amulet that Aeron had made for his momso long ago, on Mother's day, when he was twelve and taking a stone cutting andartisan class. It was such a beautiful amulet; she had been so proud of him. Arcadialooked upset when she entered. Her hair laid limply, not bouncing with energy likeusual. She had a small fabric bag that she was clutching for dear life. Her cheeks36were tear stained, and her eyes looked red, droopy, and tired. Aeron took Arcadiainto the kitchen to get them a snack. He wanted to talk to Arcadia and make sureshe was okay. He got her favorite snack; snicker salad. 

Made of snickers, bananas,and sliced apples, she loved the banana taste mixed with the chocolate and appletexture. He put some in a bowl for the three of them, and then broke the awkwardsilence and somber aura that surrounded the kitchen. "Arcadia, is there somethingwrong? You seem upset. You should be excited, aren't you excited for mom to seeyour Mother's day present?" "That's the problem. I worked really hard on it, I'mtired. but Jace said it looked like slave work, and that I shouldn't even be in theclass. Looking at what I made for her, I guess he was right." "Don't say that Cadia.You're a great artisan and jewelry maker; Jace is just an arrogant jerk who thinkshe's better than everyone else. You should make fun of him for being in a classmainly for girls." "But Damien is in that class, he's a boy." "Yeah but he's gay, sohe has an exception." Arcadia giggles with a smile, and Aeron smiled back. He wasglad he could make her smile as he handed her the snicker salad he had found inthe fridge. "Mmm, I love snicker salad." "Why do you think I got it for you? I got abowl for mom too. So...can I see what you made for her?" Arcadia sighs, openingthe fabric bag and pulling something out, though her hand blocked it. Sheeventually revealed what she had made. It was a beautifully crafted amethyst ring.the metal work was a bit shabby, but it was still one of the most beautiful ringsAeron had ever seen her make. "Arcadia, this is beautiful. Why would you saythat?" She looks into her snicker salad soberly, though she continued to eat. "I-Idunno...I guess I just didn't want it to be compared to what you got her. You're amuch better stone cutter and artisan than I could ever be. I just feel like she'llcompare it to yours, which if she did mine is just garbage. Aeron takes her hands. 

"Don't say that. That's the best thing I've seen you make yet. You're a great artisanArcadia. Mom would never compare us, because we both have our strengths andour weaknesses. I might be a great artisan, but you're great at ceramics, anddrawing! I can't draw or make pottery. Remember when you tried to teach me howto create pottery? I cut my fingers so many times and got so much clay in my hair Irefused to ever go near a pottery wheel again But you, you keep growing on yourskills. As long as you keep trying, you can do anything you want to do. So, whatdo you say? Are you going to give mom her present?" He releases her hands,37hopeful. Gavin walks in, at this time a dragon about the size of a desktop computer.She sighs, nodding. "C'mon Gavin, let's go get mom and show her what I made,yeah?" Gavin makes a noise, and follows Arcadia in the room. When she and hermom came back a few minutes later, they were both smiling, their mom waswearing her ring, and Arcadia's hair finally bounced with energy, which meant shewas finally happy. He smiled too, even though inside he felt so bad that his heartaches. A few tears fell down his cheeks, and then it hit him. Everything made sensenow. 

Arcadia's hallucinations, the amulet, everything. Everything was explained,and Aeron now wished he could just run, and jump right off a cliff. What had hedone? "This isn't good. I don't know how many days it's been going on, but I needto know." As if someone in the sky was listening to his prayers, Joey appearedfrom the elevator, his face filled with rancor and ire. "Joey I-" "I don't want to hearany of your other nonsense! What is going on with Arcadia?!" Aeron began tobreak down, and he kneeled beside Arcadia who was passed out soundly in his cot.Tears fell down his cheeks silently, and he sighed. "I know you're going to hateme, but it's my fault that Arcadia is like this. W-when I was twelve, I made thatamulet for our mom for mother's day. I was kind of rude to Arcadia, because Iwouldn't let her see it." "Why? what's the big deal if she saw it?" "Twelve is themagic epicenter age, is it not?" Joey nods. "Well I learned that if Arcadia were tobe too close to any enchantable object, she would enchant it. Now don't get mewrong, that's awesome, except for Arcadia hadn't mastered Magikinesis, and sowhen she would go near it, the enchantment would be negative because shewouldn't know how to focus her energy to make it positive. So I told her to leave italone, but when I went to my friend's house for the evening, I saw a dark auraaround it when I got it the next day. I also realized that she would do the samething to the ring, so when she left the little fabric bag with the ring on her bedsidetable, I cast a spell on it so that all dark aura would stay on that amulet. Thatamulet is one of the most cursed objects in the world. No doubt is has my mother'ssoul trapped inside. 

But I must now ask you a very important question. How longhas she been wearing that amulet?" "About three to four days why?" Joey asks,worried. "Then, I know you're going to hate me, but she's gone. Most likely shewill never wake up" Joey's lip quivered. "You mean she dead?" "In the mosttechnical terms, it is likely that she is dead." Astral walks in, looking guiltier than38ever. Joey then had so much anger built inside him seeing her. She knew all alongthat Arcadia was going to die, and she didn't stop it. Even though he was mad, Joeyknelt on the other side of her cot, trying to hold back tears of anger and sorrow