Chapter 10

A knock came at the door. "Sam." my mom said softly. "I don't know what's going on because you won't talk to me, but whatever you did we can get through it." "You haven't talked or eaten in 3 days." "Please talk to me." she sighed. She began sliding down onto the floor. It was almost 7 in the afternoon and she's still sitting at the door. "Sweety, if you just tell me what you did I won't tell anyone."she said. I sighed. "Please just come out so we can talk about this." I walked over to the door and turned the knob.My mom fell back because she was still leaning on the door. She got up quickly and hugged me. "Girl I thought you committed suicide." Don't you ever scare me like that again or I'll have to kill you myself." she laughed but said in a serious tone. "I'm sorry ma." "Now what happened?" she said in a serious tone. Wiping away her tears furiously

I began telling her what happened. She understood everything and was proud of me. But, I have to see her in the hospital. "Go to room 8B and it is on the right strait down the hall." the nurse at the desk said. I began walking slowly down the dark hall. I can do this I began telling myself. I can. I. I stopped at a door that had 8B on it. I slowly opened the door and saw her face. She was asleep. I walked back down and looked up and Matt was at the door. "Where are you going?" he asked. "No where don't worry about me." I said annoyed. "Why are you even here?" I asked with my arms crossed. "I came here because your mother called me." he said with glossy eyes. "Of course she did." I rolled my eyes. "Talk to her." he said. "She's asleep." I said. "So?" You owe this to her don't you think ?" "Yes,but- . "But nothing, if you wanted to file a report about child abuse you should have done it yourself. She was the one who had to go to the police about everything. And they went to her house and her father wasn't there. So when she was out looking for food, he caught her on a corner and beat her until the police arrived." He said now teary eyes. "Now go in there and talk to her you owe it!" he opened the door an pushed me in. I sat down in a stool right beside her bed. I saw how bruised her face was and I started sobbing. "Oh god, you don't understand how sorry I am. I wanted to just help you, but this is what I get for being in everyone's business all the time. But this was something I felt I had to do. "I'm not really the crying type of person, but not until now. "I want to tell you a story.

When I was 5 I had a big brother. He was and outstanding student, outgoing, intelligent, and absolutely handsome. I remember one time I told him I wanted to be as beautiful as he was. I smiled. Then one day he came home with a black eye. I asked him what happened and he told me he was playing baseball and he got hit in the eye. Of course I believed him because that's what all kids did. A few days after he came out the shower and he had bruises all over his body. I asked again what happened and he just told me he got in a fight. Then he came home with a bloody nose and there was blood all over his shirt. Mama wasn't always home when this was all going on. I had to call 911. I was crying because my brother was shot and I was scared and I didn't want to loose him. We got to the hospital just in time to save his life. My mama was crying. I was crying. We went home all night crying. Later that night my mama got a call from the hospital saying that my brother died. I couldn't go to school for months because I had to go to the hospital everyday from passing out. I just couldn't put it together on how he died. When I turned 10, my mama told me that he was beaten to death in the hospital. I cried and cried and cried myself to sleep every night. And one night my mama came into my room and told me that she was sorry. Sorry that I was the one to come home to find my brother shot. Sorry that you had to take care of your brother. Sorry I didn't come home at night. Sorry for not staying at the hospital with your brother. Sorry for not being a mother. Sorry for not being YOUR mother. So after I got myself over my brother, I cleaned myself up and caught up in school and got all A's and stayed on top of things. Look I know we just met, but I really don't care. I'm going to be your mother and stay here with you not just for you but for me also. You deserve it. A tear rolled down her cheek. And I smiled. I beckoned for Matt to come in and he sat down and held my hand. And we waited together for her to get better.