Borage

Then, her face changed. No longer was there fright and confusion. Suddenly, she understood. She was a prisoner. Her father was a prisoner. Now, she quivered from anger and outrage. She forced herself not to twist at the end of her sleeve. Now was not the time to show any weakness.

"Let. Him. Go." Her voice was quiet but deadly.

Herzog Reikhoff looked frightened. "I can't."

Adelaide fought to keep her temper in check.

"How could you? After we--" She couldn't finish the sentence.

His face grew dark. "I assure you, I mean no personal insult but I am taking over your castle."

A tall man just behind him stepped forward and put his hand on the Herzog's shoulder. Herzog Reikhoff shrugged him off.

"Guards, you may do what you like with Herzog Lundhoffe." The man said.

"Don't hurt him!" the Herzog said. He looked away from the tall man's disapproving stare. He stared down at the floor. "I-I must banish you, Fraulein. You leave in the morning."

"How can you do this, Kolby?"

"I'm so so sorry, Adal. I'm really sorry. I never wanted it to come to this. Never. Please understand."

"But I don't."

"Please forgive me."

"I-I-" Adelaide's voice cracked. Her forehead was wrinkled and her eyes were watery. She couldn't swallow the lump in her throat.

"Escort the wench to the dungeon." The tall man ordered.

"No, Unwin, her room will be fine." Herzog Reikhoff protested.

"We can't risk it, my lord."

The Herzog looked down.

"The dungeon." Unwin said.

The soldiers saluted. One grabbed Adelaide's shoulder. "This way." She jerked away with a scream and ran for the door. Another soldier grabbed her by the waist and threw her to the floor. They grabbed her by her arms and hauled her to the door. She kicked and bit like a wild thing. Her shrill screams made the Herzog wince. The soldiers tied her hands behind her back. She still fought but one picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. She tried to kick and bite him but could not hurt him through the heavy chain mail he wore. The soldiers dragged her father after them. He, too, struggled.

"Papa! Papa! Papa!" Adelaide screamed.

"Adelaide!"

The soldiers dragged him in the other direction. Adelaide kept trying to kick the man that carried her like a sack of potatoes.

He threw her to the floor in a dark cell in the dungeon and clanged the door shut just before Adelaide threw herself into it with all the strength she could muster. Her head banged into the bars and she fell to the floor, unconscious. She lay there until the next morning. Her eyes started to open when the soldiers who had entered the cell were lifting her up. They set her back down and bound her wrists. Then, they pushed her in front of them up the stairs and out of the castle into the courtyard. Adelaide tried to fight them, but they were too strong for her. A wagon stood waiting. Into this they pushed her and tied her ankles. She screamed. They ignored her. They tied her wrists to the side of the wagon so she couldn't get out. The wagon started to move. Adelaide screamed again. Tears streamed down her face.

"Goodbye, goodbye." The flowers wept.

"Fare thee well." The birds called.

"Auf Wiedersehen." The castle sighed.