Sunflower

She was extremely tired from her long journey the day before and went to bed not long after supper had been eaten. She lay in bed, wide awake for a long time, however. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. That not everything—or everyone—here was as they seemed. She shook her head and closed her eyes. Maybe it would be different in the morning.

"Ach! On the floor again!" Matilda woke her the next morning.

"The bed's just not comfortable!"

"Do you want me to change the mattress? Do you need more blankets? More pillows?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm really not used to all these luxuries and I really can take care of myself."

"Do you live in the woods? This is crazy!"

"Yes. Now go away and let me get myself ready."

Matilda stared. "Humph." she crossed her arms and stalked away.

Adelaide changed slowly, sluggishly. She was brushing her hair when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in!" she called.

Ursilda walked in. She plopped down on Adelaide's bed. "Your maid wakes you up awful early."

Adelaide rolled her eyes in agreement. "Yeah she's annoying."

"Well, I was gonna wake you up early anyway. Wanna go out and ride horses or something? I figured we'd go before anyone else got up so that they can freak out about where we've gone."

"I haven't ridden a horse in ages."

"Well, hurry up, then."

Adelaide pushed the brush through her hair one last time and caught it all up in a hair net. "Done."

"Let's go. We can raid the kitchen before we leave. I'm starving."

Adelaide laughed and followed. The cook provided them with breakfast and a basket of food for lunch and the two headed out to the stables.

"I haven't ridden horses in years," Adelaide remarked as they entered. Ursilda shot her a piercing glance.

"And why is that?"

"I've—been sickly." Adelaide scrambled for an excuse, glancing around to see if any servants were nearby. Spies everywhere.

A stable boy brought two horses for the girls—Ursilda's own huge steed and a smaller black mare for Adelaide. Ursilda spurred her horse off down the trail. Adelaide followed, but her horse was not as fast and she quickly fell behind. Ursilda stopped and waited for Adelaide to catch up.

"Sorry. I just couldn't hold Thunder back. He's just got so much energy."

Adelaide smiled. "It's all right. Jewel's just slow."

Ursilda laughed. "Well I certainly won't disagree with that. So...how did you and Everard meet?"

Adelaide blushed. "I never met him before I came here."

"Do you wish to marry him, now that you see how charming he is?"

"I—Don't think me rude, but I cannot find it in my heart just now to love another man."

"So you've been in love before! He died?"

"No. He—he lost his love for me."

"Oh dear! I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have asked."

"No. No, that's okay."

"So—what do you like to do for fun?"

Adelaide shrugged. "I've always loved reading in the garden. It's the most beautiful place in the world."

"Ah, yes! Gardens are so peaceful." A bit of distaste edged Ursilda's voice.

"You don't enjoy them?"

"I do, but I simply prefer action. Swords, armor, horses and all that. However, I do find peace in the garden. You must understand, I was brought up quite differently from you. No gardens and dresses and grandeur for me."

"You'd be surprised," Adelaide muttered.

"What did you say? I didn't catch it."

"I said that sounds hard."

Ursilda shrugged. "Can't miss what I never had. Tell me about you. How you grew up. What it was like with all the luxury."

Adelaide hesitated. "I don't want to sound spoiled."

"You won't. I know you're not."

"Well, every day I'd wake up and my maid would help me dress. No one else would be awake yet so I'd take a book out to the garden and read out there until—" she gulped as the images of that fateful day raced through her mind. "Until someone called me in for breakfast. I'd eat with my father, then go out for a ride while he attended to business. We'd eat lunch, then go out into the town to see the townspeople. Then after dinner, we'd sit by the fire and talk or play games until it was time for me to go to bed."

"That sounds so nice. You're very close to your father, aren't you?"

"I used to be, yes. Yes, I guess I am."

Ursilda smiled. She gestured to the small clearing they'd just entered. "Do you think this would be a good place to eat?"

Adelaide nodded and smiled back. "Looks as good as any."

The girls dismounted and spread out the picnic lunch.

They talked and laughed as they ate. The ride was uneventful and they returned with rosy cheeks only a few hours before dinner.

"Thanks for inviting me." Adelaide smiled at Ursilda.

"Thanks for coming," Ursilda smiled back over Thunder's back. "It was fun."

Adelaide turned to go to her room. Ursilda appeared next to her and hooked arms with Adelaide.

"You're rather strange, you know."

Adelaide raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"You don't act like most people who've been brought up royal. Like you've spent time outside living with the common people."

Adelaide looked down. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

Ursilda gave her a questioning glance but let the subject rest. "I'll see you at dinner then."

She pushed open the door to her room and stepped inside. Adelaide walked on. Just as she turned a corner to go down the hall toward her room, she smashed into a servant.