Mint

Adelaide opened her eyes. She rolled over and sat up. She picked up her corset and put it on. Stupid of her. There was no one to tie it. She took it back off and threw it at the trunk in the closet. She yawned and went to the bath room to change into the black dress. Then, she went to the chest and shoved the corset into it. She had to sit on the lid to get it to close. Her brush was inside. She sighed, opened it again, and rummaged through the mess inside until she found the brush. One hundred strokes through her hair and she returned it. She shoved everything down as far as she could, slammed the lid down and sat on top. It clicked closed. Barely.

The miniature was still on the floor where she had left it yesterday. Adelaide picked it up, put it in a small pouch, put on a belt and tied the pouch to the belt. Then, she donned her veil and secured it with a simple black ribbon.

She was ready. Her stomach growled.

The door opened. A few soldiers came in. Unwin stepped in after them. He walked to her and grabbed her just under the jaw. His powerful arm lifted her up until just the very tips of her toes were touching the floor. She couldn't breathe. She grabbed at his arm.

"If you breathe one word—I'll kill you. Personally. In the most painful way there is. And I'll know if you say anything. I know everything. If you thought you could go there and get allies or try to escape, well, think again. I don't mind you knowing that I've placed spies everywhere. Everywhere. You got that? No funny business." He dropped her. She landed hard on her heels and barely caught her balance. Unwin left.

Two soldiers hoisted the chest. Adelaide followed them out. The other soldiers closed around her. They marched her down the hall and down the stairs. Duke Reikhoff stood at the bottom. He watched her. She watched him out of the corner of her eyes, careful not to let him know that she even noticed him. The soldiers saluted.

"Auf Wiedersehen. Safe journeys. May Odin protect you."

She said nothing. They walked on. He turned away with his head hanging. The soldiers heaved the chest up on the wagon. She climbed up after it. The three-day journey began.

They approached a town after dark on the third day. Adelaide noticed with satisfaction that it was the same town where Emnilda and Evonna had gone. She probably wouldn't see either of them, but it was comforting to know that they were there.

The wagon rolled into the castle's yard. A large woman came bustling toward them. "Wolfgang and Randall dear, take the Pfalzgrafin's trunk to her room. Ursilda, darling, come here! Ursilda! Ach, you must be Adelaide—I'm sorry, Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe, darling. I'm Frau Bhare. Come, you must be worn out, darling. I'll show you to your room. Urslida! Where is that girl? She's to be your maid while your here, darling. I'm so sorry you couldn't bring one of your maids. So hard when you're understaffed, darling. Ursilda! Jeffery dear, will you go get Ursilda? Milo dear, tell Margred that the turkey should be fine for tomorrow. Oh, and tell Nomidia to wait till the morning to put out the laundry. She's done so much today, you know, dear."

It nearly took Adelaide's breath away at how much the woman talked. She moved faster than you would have expected. The men carrying her trunk struggled to keep up. A page had to run to catch up to her.

"Herzog Kafistania wishes to know if the Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe has indeed arrived?"

"Use your eyes, Makko dear. She has."

The boy ran off again.

Adelaide followed Frau Bhare up a flight of stairs and down a hall. Frau Bhare adjusted the shawl that hung around her shoulders and straightened the cap that topped her pile of graying brown hair. She opened a door and ushered Adelaide inside.

"Here it is, darling. This is to be yours. Matilda is right next to you, darling. She's a dear. Hasn't been spoiled by any of these ladylike notions. Rides a warhorse as well as any one of our knights can. Weilds a sword better than most of them. Wears armor at home, too, I hear tell. Oh, here are the boys. The trunk will go there fine, boys. Thanks. Now go get your chores finished. Hurry now. Now then, let's hang up those dresses, shall we?" She already had the trunk open. "Just stock full. Here's your brush. Ach, a corset and hoops. Useful for a ball—which we're having last day, by the way. Bit of everything here, darling. Ach, here's your dresses. Now then. This is a lovely ball gown. Ready to be a swan, yes, darling? This is a beautiful dress. Yellow is such a cheerful color. Well then, it looks as if that's it. I'll just hang these up real quick. Put this jewelry box on the dresser there, darling. And the rest of your duds can go inside. There, everything all spick and span. Oh, here's your brush darling. I'll just put it right here by the jewelry box. Beautiful. Don't you have a nightgown, darling? No matter, I'll have Ursilda get you one. Oh, here you are, Ursilda. Why, you're breathing very hard, darling. You didn't run up here, did you?"

"Yes, mum."

"Well, thanks for hurrying. This is Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe. Take good care of her for me, will you, darling? I have to make sure Willberna didn't burn the bread. She's so flustered all the time, you know. Good night, ladies. Willelma!" The door slammed behind her.

"What do you wish me to do, Pfalzgrafin?"

"Please, just call me Adelaide. I'm not used to being called Pfalzgrafin and I can't say I like it."

"As you wish, Pfal—Adelaide."

Spies everywhere. The words rang through her head "I don't want anything right now, Ursilda. I'm just going to bed."

"But to help you undress!"

"I'm alright for tonight, Ursilda. Go get some sleep."

"Yes, mum."

Ursilda disappeared into a little adjoining room. Adelaide heaved a sigh of relief. She sank into a chair and surveyed the room. There was another door beside Ursilda's that must lead to the bath room. There was a large plant by the tiny window opposite of where Adelaide sat. The bed and the dresser were right beside her chair. It was a very comfortable room. Adelaide changed into her gown and crawled into the big bed. It was nearly twice the size of her back in Lundhoffe and much more fluffy.

"Ach! Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe! Adelaide! Fraulein! What are you doing? Why are you in the floor?"

Adelaide looked up at Ursilda's worried face. "What?"

"Why are you on the floor Pfalzgrafin? Are you alright?"

"Oh! Yes, yes, I'm fine. Just couldn't get comfortable on the bed."

"Surely the floor is not more comfortable!"

"Oh, it is!"

"Ach! You will be the death of me! I can see that now, Pfalzgrafin!"

Adelaide laughed. "Sorry Ursilda." She closed her eyes again as the maid busied herself in the closet.

"Ach, back asleep!"

"Mm."

"Well, I never!"

"Me too." Adelaide opened her eyes and laughed at Urilda's open mouth. "I'm getting up. I'm getting up."

"Ach." Ursilda clucked under her breath.