Hyacinth

Adelaide was ready first. She was re-acquainting herself with Jewel when Everard entered, wearing a sour look.

"Milo insisted on smearing mud on my face." He pointed distastefully to the barely visible mark.

"I can't even tell."

"All that for nothing?"

She laughed and nodded. "I think so."

"Figures. Okay, Siegfried, who am I riding today?"

The stable boy ducked into a stall and gently led out a big bay. "He ain't been ridden in a long time, sir."

"He'll do, Siegfried, thanks. No saddle today, please."

"Yes, sir."

The boy took off the halter and Everard easily hopped onto the horse's back. He wrapped a lead rope around his arm, then led the way out of the stable. Adelaide followed close behind.

The village was not very far away, and before long, they found themselves on its outskirts. Everard dismounted and tied the bay to a tree. Adelaide followed suit. The two horses set to grazing.

"Alright, so who is your friend?"

"Are."

"Are?"

"Who are my friends."

"Right. That."

"Their names are Evonna and Emnilda."

"How did you meet them?"

"Long story that I'm not at liberty to tell."

"Alright then. Let's go meet your mysterious friends."

"One problem. I don't know exactly where they are."

"Guess we start asking."

The market opened up before them.

"Excuse me, do you know an Evonna?" Everard asked a shopkeeper.

The man frowned and scrunched up his eyebrows. "No. Can't say I do."

"How about an Emnilda?"

"Sounds familiar, but I can't place it. Maybe ask the flower lady. She never stops talking. Regular gossip."

"Thanks." Everard led Adelaide across the market to the stand of flowers.

"Hey, stupid, get out of here! This is my spot!" Someone yelled from one side.

"Shut up, Unwin! I can set up wherever I want!" a thin old man yelled back from his half-open booth.

Everard rolled his eyes. "That would be Unwin and Karl. They never stop arguing. They've hated each other for so long I don't think they even remember why they hate each other."

Adelaide laughed. The two stepped up to the flower booth. A little old lady with white hair piled high up on her head looked up from the flowers she was cutting.

"Oh dear. I didn't see you there. What can I do for you? I've got flowers any kind you want. You look like you're buying for the lady. Now dear, you'd look real nice with yellow flowers with that complexion. Means friendship, they do. Unless you want red. Red roses are the best. Those mean true love."

"Actually, Maria, we didn't come to buy flowers."

"Not come to buy flowers! Well! I should hope you got a good reason. You're taking up valuable time. My time ain't worth all that much. There's customers to attend to!"

"There's no one here, Maria!"

"Well, there could be!"

"Do you know an Evonna?"