A rescue gone south

I am currently getting ready for my day. I pull my paramedic uniform shirt from my locker. As soon as I do I notice a piece of paper flutter from the pocket. With one swift movement, I pick up. I quickly read it. ''Nice job on the Montana rescue from your secret admirer.' Not only do I recognise the handwriting, but what was said on the note reminds me of something he would say. I will ask Buck about it later. Before I get ahead of myself my name is Ella Calder. In case you haven't figured it out I am a paramedic with the LAFD. It was something I stumbled upon after leaving med school. With another swift movement, I get my shirt on. I tuck the note in my pocket as I start the process of getting my uniform buttoned up. After two minutes of making sure everything is ready, I find myself in the rec area.

"Morning," My captain Bobby Nash greets me as I take the seat opposite him.

"Hey Bobby, I need your help," I ask. I realise that Bobby can confirm if the handwriting on the note is Buck's. It will be interesting for me as Bobby is like the protective father of Station 118.

"What can I help you with?" Bobby asks.

"Can you tell me whose handwriting this is?" I say as I pass him the note. Like me, he is quick to read it. Unlike me, he doesn't seem all that surprised. I feel a little guilty for involving him but if anyone knows it's Bobby.

"Nice job on the Montana rescue from your secret admirer, that sounds like something Buck would say and it is his handwriting," Bobby confirms my feeling. The next question would be why on earth Buck would write a note. He's probably too shy to tell me how he feels.

"Thanks for letting me know," I responded. We are soon distracted by the rustling of paper bags. The man carrying the bags is the man of the hour. His arms are laden with food supplies for the station.

"Good morning Buck," I greeted him before bursting into a giggling fit. He looks like Bambi on ice trying to keep one of the bags off the ground while carrying the others.

"Good morning Ella," His voice is as wobbly as the bags that he is carrying.

"Need any help," I ask with a hint of sarcasm. He can technically make it but still. I'm going to offer.

"Yes please," Buck responds. With that out of the way I take the bag that looked like it was going to fall over the most then I place it on the table. I am about to start unpacking when the signal bell goes. It always seems to have the worst sense of timing. Oh well, it just means that I have a job to do.

"truck, ambulance," the automatic voice announces. I make a beeline to the ambulance. It is there that I am met by my partner in crime Henrietta Wilson. For some reason, we all call her Hen. I've never figured it out. After what feels like forever we have made it to the top of the cliff. I glance off the top of the cliff to see what needs to be done but before I can come to a conclusion Bobby gets to work on delegating the tasks.

"Ella rappel down with Buck, Hen you're on the winch," Bobby instructs. I find myself rushing to get the harness on. In doing so I fail to notice the slightly frayed cord. After a few seconds and with our harnesses comfortably on, Buck and I get to work on making our descent. It doesn't take long for disaster to strike. I feel a slight moment of weightlessness before tumbling to the rocky outcrop that our patient is on. A violent pain shoots through my arm. I am quick to come around to my situation. This is not the way that I would have wanted to get to the patient but hey I am still with them. I gingerly get to work on making sure the patient is stable. I soon encountered another issue. I can feel the rock underneath us shift a little.

"Ella, are you alright?" Buck shouts, checking on me.

"I think I damaged my wrist but our victim has massive head trauma and possibly a broken spine," I decided to ignore the pain in my wrist since the first patient is much worse. The good thing is I already have one of the things that I need. The rest of the stuff is with Buck.

"Bobby the rocks have started to shift," I radio in. That is not a good sign. In an attempt to distract myself from my injury, I get the C-collar on the patient. I almost find it overwhelming. I clench my jaw to stop myself from crying in pain. After a second of waiting Buck joins us however he is a little hesitant.

"Mind if I join you?" Buck asks just to make sure the ledge is safe. I can feel another shift.

"No it's too unstable, " I say as Buck passes me the spine board. With that, I get to work on getting the man comfortable on the board. Again I clench my jaw to stop myself from screaming. With one careful but strong push, I have the man ready to go.

"He's good to go," I radio in the all-clear. It doesn't take long for him to clear the ledge. The next thing I know Buck has joined me on the ledge.

"Grab on," He announces. I do as he says. I try my best to hold on. I am starting to wish that this job was a simple one. But no. Something had to go wrong. I can feel the heat radiating from Buck's body.

"I've got you," I whisper. My cheeks flush red at the embarrassing nature of this situation. I hate the fact that it was a piece of broken equipment that got us into this mess. I'll have to have a word with whoever was on inventory this morning. Oh well, there is nothing that I can do about it.

"Ok Hen, winch us up," Buck says, giving the command to be taken up. The rock that we were on collapsed just as the rope loses its slack. After a few tense seconds, we returned to the cliff's top. After a few more minutes of just checking over the victim, he is loaded into the ambulance.

"Ella I'll drive, you make sure our Vic is stable," Hen can see that I am in pain. It comes with being good friends with a paramedic.

"All right," I am not going to bother arguing. After five tense minutes, we made it to the nearest hospital's ED.

"GCS 4 head trauma and possible spine injury," I informed the emergency staff. Thankfully it doesn't take long for the patient to be dealt with. Now it is my turn. I am quick to explain what happened to a free ER doctor. After another ten minutes of waiting, I have gotten an X-ray and now for the part, I have been worried about.

"There is a small hairline fracture. Luckily for you, you'll only have to wear a brace." the doctor says as he puts on the brace for me. It will still be painful but I know it could be a lot worse.

"How long will I need it on?" I ask as I know it may become an issue during work. Not that it matters as I don't see myself doing anything stupid as Bobby will want to make sure that I am ok.

"Six to eight weeks," The doctor replies. He is definitely giving me the pessimist's answer. Oh well, there really is not much that I can do.

"Thank you," I responded as I gathered my things. All I can say is that it has been a bit eventful today. That is what I get for being a first responder. A lot can happen on one shift. With that out of the way, I rejoin Hen in the ambulance.