Chapter 2

The next day has come and Clark is in the barn doing his chores in the early afternoon. As usual. Putting this and there; feeding the cows; fixing some stuff. What farmers do.

He has been thinking about telling his secret to Heather, but is unsure if he should tell her his powers. They have been together for 2 years, but he is just a bit uncomfortable about the whole idea of opening up to her. 

"Clark?" He hears Heather's voice behind him. He turns around and gives her a huge smile. 

"Hey, Heather. What's up?" He asks her.

She walks closer to him, her face serious. This makes Clark really worried.  

"I'm going to college in a different country." She says to him. Clark's smile goes into a mix of a frown and worry.

"Really?" He says, 'laughing' a bit. 

"Yeah."

"When are you leaving?"

"Monday."

"Heather, that is two days from now. Why so soon?" 

"My father wants me to go to a good college and in order to do that, we have to go early so I can enroll and get ready." She explains. 

Clark's mind is processing all this. 

Maybe I shouldn't tell her. Maybe it's a sign saying that it's best that she doesn't know... No, I should tell her. Maybe to let her change her mind into moving and beg for her parents to let her stay. 

His mind is jumbled with 'yes, tell her.' and 'no, don't tell her.' 

"But what about us?" Clark asks, putting both of his hands each on her shoulders. 

"Don't worry, we'll send letters to each other." She says, so calmly as if this is no big deal. 

"But I want to be able to talk to you in person. Be able to touch you, to see you." Clark says. 

"I want that too, but we are taking different roads."

Clark's throat has a lump. He's holding back his tears. He doesn't want to seem weak in front of Heather. 

"I just came to tell you this." Heather says. She tip-toes to kiss Clark and then leaves the barn. 

After a moment of thinking, Clark's mind finally made a decision. 

I should tell her. 

He waits until the sound of Heather's car has faded. He walks to the house then enters. He sees Martha in the kitchen baking cookies. He wants to ask some advice from her. Ask about the right choice. 

"Hey, mom." Clark greets her. 

"Hey, Clark." She replies. Taking out the tray of cookies out of the oven and placing them on the island. 

"I want to ask if telling Heather about my powers will be the right thing to do." Clark says all in one breath. 

Martha looks at him and finds the right words to say. 

"Well... You're a man now, Clark. You should know what is right and what is wrong." Martha finally says. 

"Yes, Clark, you're eighteen, not fifteen anymore." Jonathan joins in, and putting his gloves on the island. "What were we talking about here?" He asks, getting some water from the fridge and then a glass from the cupboard filling it with the jug of water he got.

"If I should tell Heather about the secret." Clark says. 

"Secret? What secret?" Lois comes in from upstairs. 

"Is everyone chiming in on people's discussions now?" Clark complains, obviously really annoyed. 

"Alright, alright. I'll back away to the Talon." Lois says, raising both of her hands up in surrender while backing away to the front door of the house then leaves out of sight. 

"As I was saying, is it the right choice or not?" Clark continues, voice now calm.

"If you think that Heather deserves that kind of trust then I guess you should tell her." Jonathan says, now getting some of Martha's cookies. 

"I would if I were you. She seems pretty trustable." Martha says. 

"Yeah, son, she does seem the kind of person to trust." Jonathan agrees, taking a bite of the cookie. 

"That is setteled. Thanks, mom. Thanks, dad." Clark heads out to the barn once again. 

- - - - - 

Jodie walks to the library and sees Lex again. She has made her mind about this. Afterall, this could be something good. 

I could get married to the love of my life. We have been together for 2 years. I think it's time for us to get married. There is no other man that I want to get married to aside from Lex. 

"Hi, Lex." She says, giving him a smile. 

"Hey, Jodie," He says, giving her a smile too. "What's going on? Why are you smiling like that?" Lex asks. He closes his laptop and stands up in front of Jodie. 

"I..." Jodie thinks of the right words to say. "Lex... You are an amazing person. So loving, so kind, so mature. You are also the man that I love and..." She pauses to give some intensity. "I want to marry you. Yes, Lex, I will marry you." Jodie finally says and Lex hugs her then kisses her passionatly. Lex couldn't be much happier than to marry Jodie. 

He goes to his glass table and grabs the box where the engagement ring is in and takes out the ring. He slides it on Jodie's left hand ring finger and kisses her one more time.