Chapter 39

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Buy'ce (BOO-chay, BOO-shay): helmet; Colloquially: pint, bucket

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Shabla (SHAH-bla): screwed up

Taylir Les'ika akay vaar'tur (TIE-leer EE-kah ah-kay vahr-TOOR): "Hold Les'ika until morning"

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 39

The Force shows me that things brew beneath the surface, and I sense a churning of emotions, not unlike the undertow in an ocean. What I can sense in that undertow looks like braided ribbons, tightly woven and unbreakable. It's a rare bond, a beautiful knot of compassion and adoration, unique in that it is both innocent but deeply devoted.

Jedi Paxa Tener providing her insights to King Vollan Psach

Tochin Moon II, 786 Days ABG

Suddenly the door to Crimson's chamber pinged for attention, and it broke Jas from his ruminations. Gath sighed at the additional distraction that hindered the end of his report. He glanced at the wall-mounted chronometer realizing that it was getting very late in the evening, and he couldn't even begin to imagine who might possibly be calling on them at this hour.

Jas lifted his head cautiously, wondering if perhaps Les'ika had managed to free herself from wherever they had sheltered her away, and he had a wild moment of hope that she would be standing behind the entrance.

Dusty hurried to the door, flashing a mischievous grin at Jas. However, when he opened the door they saw a young man, probably no older than sixteen years old, standing there. He was dressed in the plain clothing of a personal messenger, his tunic and pants a dull yellow. His shin-high boots were worn and dull, their deep brown now faded to a dark tan. The boy's auburn hair was cut short, and his light brown eyes sparkled with curiosity and awe at the four identical men and their small armament that was neatly scattered around the suite.

"I think you have the wrong room," Dusty said as he crossed his arms over his chest, smiling with that jovial charm of his he liked to exhibit around civilians.

The young man pulled his thoughts back from wherever they had been and nervously scratched at the back of his head. "Um, I've been asked to summon one of you called Jas."

Dusty turned to Jas and winked at him. "Taylir Les'ika akay vaar'tur."

Jas fought to keep his heart from rushing while he tried to contain his embarrassment in front of Dusty, especially since his brother had just told him to "hold Les'ika until morning," and Jas knew exactly what Dusty meant by that.

Standing up, Jas put his buy'ce onto the bed and looked at the messenger, pushing aside the less-than-noble thoughts about being brought to Les'ika's bedchamber. "I'm Jas."

The boy took a quick look at Jas in his bodysuit. "She would consider it disrespectful if you came to see her looking like that."

Feeling a nervous swell in his chest that someone might have made arrangements for him to see Les'ika, Jas moved swiftly and set his armor back on. He glanced at the buy'ce, but decided to leave it on the bed, as the last thing he wanted to do was hide from her again. Turning to the messenger, Jas merely raised an eyebrow to silently question his appearance.