Chapter 48

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Aru'ela (AH-roo-AY-la): hostile, enemy (adj)

Ba'vodu (BAH-vod-oo): uncle (plural bavodu'e) or aunt (plural bavodu'e)

Ba'vodu Gan: Uncle Gan

Buir (boo-EER): father or mother

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Kal'buir (Kal-boo-EER): Father Kal

Ner vod (nair-vohd): "my brother/sister"; colloquially also "my friend"

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum (Nee soo-COO-yee, gar keer-AH-deesh, nee par-TIE-lee, gar dah-rah-SOOM): "I'm still alive, but you are dead. I remember you, so you are eternal"—Daily remembrance of those passed on, followed by the names of those being remembered  

Ret'urcye mhi (ray-TOOR-shay-MEE): Goodbye - lit. *Maybe we'll meet again*

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 48

I think about you every day and hope that you are safe. I know that the war had ended some time ago and I was told it was at the cost of the entire Jedi Order. I haven't heard from you consistently for a few weeks now, and I can't help wondering if you and your brothers survived. My heart aches without knowing what has happened to you, and I worry every moment I receive no reply. I know in one of my previous messages I had told you that we had newcomers settle on Tochin who were assigned here by Emperor Palpatine. They undermine my father's authority and find ways to twist his words against him. Papa and Janelle have shared heated debates with the one who has taken the rank of moff. The new legion of stormtroopers that they provided is not personable either. I'm growing impatient for your response, even a single line of text will...aru'ela.

Princess Arlesse Psach's final comlink transmission to RC-1147 "Jas"

Mandalore, 63 Days After Order 66

Moving out the door, Jas exited the Skirata house and returned to the bench where he had started earlier in the morning. The sun had risen and was now about at the halfway point across the sky. Early afternoon was beginning to settle in, and it seemed like yet another day was wasted while he was stranded away from Les'ika. Jas knew that he needed to be getting into town to find a ship or even a pilot who would be willing to drop him off on Tochin. He'd figure out what to do after he got there, but for now, he just needed to get off Mandalore.

"Hey, I'm in," Dusty said.

Jas didn't realize that his brother had followed him, but he didn't interrupt Dusty as he continued talking.

"You belong with her, ner vod. They can remain here in their secluded little existence, hiding from the Empire if that's what they want, but Les'ika doesn't have that luxury. She's pinned down in that palace with only Tarj as her buffer. You and I could both see that, just by the way she was using him as a shield. You were insane enough to get attached to her and even more crazy to vow yourself as her knight. We both know that it's long overdue for you to take on that responsibility."