Chapter 54

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Di'kut (DEE-koot): idiot, useless individual, waste of space (lit. Someone who forgets to put their pants on)

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Udessi (oo-DAY-see): Calm down! Take it easy! 

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 54

For centuries, the palace guards were responsible for the safety of the royal family. I wasn't too keen on the Republic Army stepping into our territory, but at least they knew their limits. The Empire took away the only employment I've ever had, and now that I've been removed from that honor, I find civilian life is much more complicated than I ever imagined.

Chora Wsau, former Tochin palace guard

Tochin Moon III, 82 Days after Order 66

"You're not here for the equinine farm," Saun said quietly after he took a long swig of his drink. Then, his eyes darted between the two former commandos. "But, you don't seem to be with the Empire either."

"Didn't think you were quite so clever," Dusty told him as he rested one of his arms across the table. His other one remained hidden out of sight, and he quickly distracted Saun from noticing it as his next statement was said to mildly confuse the former guard. "Last time I saw any palace guards they were more babysitters than real soldiers."

At that Saun raised an eyebrow and a twinge of anger touched his face. Dusty saw his words had done their trick as Saun was suddenly annoyed and was trying to figure out how a Mandalorian and a real estate mogul knew anything about palace guards. It was the distraction the former commando needed to keep his blaster concealed while it was trained on the former guard.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Davi asked sharply.

"Snide comment," Dusty replied quickly, waving it away with his other hand. "I was out of line."

Davi wasn't convinced, and his face took on the typical mask an interrogator would exhibit just before getting into a long session of questions. "You know more than you pretend. Around here, that's not taken too kindly."

This time Jas spoke. "She was always a burden to you, wasn't she?"

Davi raised an eyebrow and allowed a moment of confusion to cross his features as his voice portrayed it in his frustration. "Who are you talking about?"

This time Jas answered. "Think back a long time ago. She only wanted to say goodbye to the squad that ensured her safety, and you thought she was nothing more than a lost child who wandered into the hangar."

Anger sparked in Davi's eyes, and his head spun sharply at the armored man. "Who are you?"

"Udessi," Dusty warned softly to Jas. Then, he brought his attention back to Saun. "What can you tell us about Harkin and the events that took place before he relieved you of your station?"

Davi leaned over the table again and eyed down the Mandalorian. "I don't care what kinds of weapons you're armed with, you've no right..."

Dusty moved his free hand between Jas and Saun, prepared to push either Jas or Saun away from each other and get between them. "Look, I'm just here for a land purchase."