Chapter 60

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Ba'vodu (BAH-vod-oo): uncle (plural bavodu'e) or aunt (plural bavodu'e)

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Mhi solus tome, mhi solus dar'tome, mhi me'dinui an, mhi ba'juri verde (mee-SOH-loos-TOH-may, mee-SOH-loos-dar-TOH-may, mee-me-dee-NOO-ee-ahn, mee-bah-jur-VAIR-day): "We are one when together, we are one when parted, we will share all, we will raise warriors."—Mandalorian marriage vows

Vode (VOH-day): brothers, sisters, comrades

Vode an (vohd-ahn): brothers all

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 60

The responsibility of the palace guardian is solely for the preservation of the royal bloodline. Many before you have sacrificed everything, including their own lives in order to ensure harm does not befall the royal family. Before taking the same oath that our ancestors had, you must be certain that the time for questions and hesitation is long past. Provided that you are willing to accept the potential that your life may be sacrificed for your leaders, please step forward and recite the oath to your sovereign that will finalize your commencement to a palace guardian.

Excerpt from the palace guardian inauguration ceremony

Tochin Moon III, 87 Days after Order 66

Arlesse hesitantly moved beyond the door where the woman had led her. As she heard the door close behind her, she spun, hoping that Tarj was still with her. When she didn't see him, confusion overcame her, and she stepped back towards the direction of the entrance.

Without warning, weight came across Arlesse's waist, pulling her close to someone while the rough material of something strong covered her mouth. She wanted to scream and tried to push aside the grasp that suddenly had her immobile.

 Her hands tried to pull the blockage from around her mouth, flashbacks suddenly erupting to her abduction over eight months ago. She felt the tears of terror welling in her eyes, wondering who was behind the attack this time, and she felt the lump in her throat threaten to close off her breathing.

"Les'ika," a voice so familiar in its accent whispered.

Even though the hollow metallic sound of the voice being spoken was through a helmet microphone, Arlesse knew of only one man who would say her name in such a manner. She had told no one else of the name that Crimson used to address her, not even Tarj.

"It's me," he finished softly.

Terror instantly turned to relief and the tears rolled slowly, not from fright but from a deeply embedded joy. Arlesse tried to take a breath, but it resulted in a choked sob. The lump in her throat swelled with guilt, becoming a painful pressure against her breath.

Jas moved his hand from her mouth, sure now that Les'ika was past her moment of surprise and potential scream for help. He kept his arm around her waist, holding her tightly pressed against his armor. He had longed for over eight months to see her again, to touch her. Now that he had, he was still encased in cursed armor, his hands still layered in gloves. With his free hand, he removed his helmet and set it onto one of the unopened crates of merchandise. His armor was no longer Katarn armor in the style of the Grand Army of the Republic.