Chapter 7

Melinda woke up early enough to open the box of her new clothing. She looked at the garments with disapproval. Tight leather and wool crop-tops served as the top half, and a cloth wrap-around skirt and leggings waited to be worn. Frowning in exasperation, Melinda grabbed the outfit and went to the bathroom, and changing into the clothing. Coming back out, she saw that Daisy was awake. "What the hell are you wearing, May?"

   "My uniform . . .  Or whatever this is." Melinda shrugged.

   Daisy snickered, and Melinda rolled her eyes as she opened the front door. As she already knew, Two women dressed the same as her waited outside, guarding the women's dwelling.

    "Good morning." One said, and Melinda nodded. The warriors turned, indicating that she should follow, which Melinda did. They lead her to the head-house, and the queen waited along with thirty or forty other women dressed in the same leather top, wool skirts and leggings. Most brandished spears, and they parted like a wave to let Melinda through. May approached Termica, the queen's hair in a braid that brushed the floor. Termica smiled, reaching out a scarred hand for May to shake.

    "Sister, we wish to welcome you." One said. "The queen herself will judge your skill in combat, and then place you with one of us to train until you reach close to birth, and then your training will commence after the child is born if it is female."

    "And if it is a boy?" May asked.

   "Than you will leave it in the mountains." The woman answered. "Then you will carry again." She paused. "But let us adjourn to the arena. The queen thinks that you are to be tested now, and not wait."

    May nodded, and all the women filled out through the back door, Melinda seeing a dirt circle surrounded by a small fence. "Fight your best." Someone said.

    Queen Termica herself stepped into the arena, and waited for Melinda. "No weapons." She said, and May followed. "I and my companions attended a class outside of our husband's knowledge." She lied.

    "Well than, are you afraid?" Termica flashed a friendly smile. "I will do what I can not to harm the child, as will you."

    They stepped into starting stances, and the woman who had explained all this to May called out, "Begin!"

    Melinda waited for Termica to come for her, and studied her style, in case se needed it tonight, and as soon as Termica got within swinging range, Melinda dodged, spun around, and tried to kick her, but her newly enlarged stomach made all the difference, Leaving Melinda fighting to keep her balance. May grabbed a hold of Termica's long rope of hair, tugging it backward.

     Termica was able to over take her, picking up May. Melinda wrapped her thighs around Termica's neck, squeezing. The queen stumbled, and Melinda resisted her wish to roll away, following the instant to keep her baby safe.

    Termica released Melinda, and twisted around to wrap her arm around May's waist, but Melinda knew this move to well. Elbowing Termica's chest, May flipped her position, grabbing the queens wrist. Managing to get the other one in her grasp as well, They stood in the dirt, both straining to fight the other. Wrestling had never been Melinda's favorite move to pull, but right now, it was her only option. Kicking forward as hard as she could, both women fell backward, Melinda catching herself and stopping her body from slamming into the ground.

   "Good fight, sister." Termica pulled herself up, panting, and said something that left the other warriors speechless. "I wish to train you myself."

-:x:-

    That evening, Melinda watched as the warriors and several guild's members loaded up into half a dozen or more jeeps, and took off with loud whoops and shouts. The feast had already been finished, and now it was Bobbi's turn to do her part.

    Returning to the party beside the queen, Melinda waited and watched until she saw Jemma slip something to Bobbi. Turning to the queen, Melinda asked, "Where are they raiding?"

    "A ranch just around the mountain in the other valley." Termica walked up to the rest of the women, firelight dancing in her eyes.

   Crap. That was the valley were the Zephyr waited, May realized.

   A happy shout arose as an Amazon woman threw more logs into the fire, and May smiled as She watched Bobbi discreetly throw in a package.

   As the logs caught fire, so did Bobbi's smoke bomb.

   Melinda could smell the burning Valerian root, and smoke absolutely filled the clearing. May locked eyes with Jemma, who took off the pennant to her bracelet, pressing the stone to begin sending the zephyr a message.

    Termica frowned in confusion, and Melinda took her chance, running toward the queen. Kicking her into the smoke, Melinda grabbed the spear from her grip, and ran like hell.