Chapter 14

Note: I'm trying to learn mandarin, and surprise! It's actually not as hard as I expected. I'm still kinda new to it, but any mistakes in the grammar and language are entirely mine, not google translate's, lol

   --------- -:x:- ---------

   "Come, Qiaolian." Lian hobbled down the racks of clothing. "You cannot wear leggings for the rest of your time with child."

   "Māmā, We could just got to walmart." Melinda tried again.

    "No. Walmart doesn't have what you need." Lian shook her head. "Phillip! Have you at least prepared some way?"

   "No, Mrs. May. I've known about the baby for about four days." Phil answered, following the two women like a lost puppy, staring at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world as Lian sifted through maternity bras. "You will need a larger size." Lian warned. "Your body will grow - and your rǔfáng will not disappoint."

   "Disappoint? My rǔfáng?!? Māmā!"  Melinda retorted with horror at her mother's assumptions.

   "Phillip should have noticed a difference." Lian answered dryly.

   "In what?" Coulson looked up when he heard his name, not really listening.

   "My boobs." Melinda translated. Coulson blushed again.

    "Take these." Lian shoved three garments into her daughter's hands. "When your body catches up, you will thank me. What cup size were you before the . . . transformation?"

   "Thirty-two-D." Melinda sighs.

   Lian snorts. "No wonder you are here now."

   "That has nothing to do with it!" Phil interjects. He just wanted to escape this embarrassing situation consisting of Mrs. May joking that he loves Melinda for her. . .chest.

   "And now?" Lian continues. 

   May shrugs. "My bra is a little small now." She confesses, closing her eyes with frustration.

   "I'd judge thirty-two-and-a-half E." Lian guesses, "They are probably spilling out in your old one."

   "Oh god." Melinda sighs as Lian moves on with the new bras. "Now for pants." The older woman decides.

    "Māmā!" Melinda groans with pure annoyance. She sends an apologetic 'I'm so sorry'  look toward Phil as they move across the aisle and out to another section of the clothing store.

   -:x:-

   By the time they've selected a decent amount of shirts - all dark colors, but Phil managed to snag a purple on of the same design as one that Melinda had chosen - the trio was almost done.

   The cashier smiled, and said, "Oh! Grandma's coming along to help?"

   "Yeah." Phil nods before Lian corrects, "It's wàipo's turn to shop."

   "I'm hoping you found everything alright?" The young woman smiles as she begins to ring them up. "Well enough." Melinda forces a smile.

   "It's always so nice to see dad helping to shop for mom." The woman musses as she swipes in the price, and Phil pay's it without a thought. He is going to prove to Lian that he can take care of Mel.

   "Congratulations!" The cashier calls after them as they leave, Phil carrying the bags. "Put them in the trunk, Phillip." Lian instructs.

   Melinda goes to take the wheel, but Lian stops her. "Wait." Phil puts up his now free hands. "Can I at least take you two out for lunch?"