Chapter 16

It's been almost a month at Lian's home when May hit eight months gestation, and they want to leave before Melinda legally cannot pilot a SHIELD aircraft anymore. Waving goodbye to her mother, Melinda waddled up the Zephyr's ramp and settled herself into the Pilot's chair. Phil was close behind with the bags, and took as seat where he could see and watch May, who looks back after lift-off.

   There he is again, on the Phone, a worried expression on his face. May can hear him in the background, and she looks up through the reflection in the glass at his pacing form. Phil finally hangs up.

   "What's wrong?" Melinda asks when she sees his face.

   "We have a problem." Phil sighes. "FitzSimmons were attacked on the way home from England."

   Melinda wheeled around. "And. . . ? Are they okay?"

   "Fitz managed to tazer the two women, and when they were hime, Mack and Fitz did some digging, and found communication ties between the Amazons and HYDRA."

     Suddenly, Melinda looked to the radar. "Phil?" She started. "We're being followed."

     "We are? By what?" Phil ask, leaning forward in his seat.

     "Three small jets- HYDRA aircraft!" She read the Zephyr's diagnostic, turning the plane into a higher accent. "And they're closer than I thought." She growled in frustration. "Damn stomach's in the way." She muttered, frowning with concentration, reaching over her belly and Phil suddenly could see the radar's red dots closing in on the zephyr.

    "Great." Phil huffed, glancing up to look at her.

    "Spill." Melinda could read him like an open book.

   "That's not the only thing, Melinda." Phil confessed, watching his best friend do a nosedive, holding on tight.    

    "What else?!?!" Melinda growls, and the plane shoots back up into the sky.

    "We found out that HYDRA is sponsoring the Amazons. That's why they had all that land and equipment."

    "You couldn't have told me sooner?!?!?" May hisses, her hands flying over the Zephyr controls. "BEFORE we had three small jets on our trail trying to kill us?!?!?"

   "I'm sorry, Melinda!" Phil tries again.

    Their pursuers are good. The Jets are gaining distance, and were herding the Zephyr into the upcoming valley.

    "Melinda?" Phil asks urgently when she gasps sharply and grips the controls more tightly. He notices the sweat on her brow. "Are you okay?"

    "'M fine." Melinda takes a breath, relaxing again and focusing on the sky.

    "You don't look-"

   "Phil." She warns pointedly at the radar. The planes are closer, driving them straight to a mountain.

   Melinda goes rigged again. Her senses numb as her muscles contract and she want to close out the pain but she needs to pilot, she needs fly this plane to get them out of here. 

   "Melinda!" Phil screams as she tries to pull up, but the Rocky ledge is to close and she can't do anything to stop a crash but try to make it softer.

    The jolt of the Zephyr's impact as it skids along the rock is terrible, and probably wasn't good for the baby.

    The Zephyr finally slows, leaving behind a trail of wreaked trees and dark smudges in the snow.

    "We need to get out!" Phil calls and Melinda stands.

    The second May's upright, Pain radiated like fire down her legs, scorching her lower spine. Melinda catches herself on the chair. 'these aren't practice contractions', she thinks as she stumbles, Phil grabbing her shoulder.