Chapter 15 (Fitzsimmons)

In which we check in on a couple other members of the team. . . I suck at writing Fitzsimmons, so this is super short.

--------- -:x:- ---------

   -:x:- Fitzsimmons -:x:-

   "Jemma?" Leo was fidgeting, looking once again to his left, were his fiancé dozed in the seat next to him.

   "Mmmmm?" Simmons sighed again, smiling lightly.

   "Will your Mum be mad?" 

    "I truthfully don't know." Jemma opened her eyes, glancing down at the bump in her midsection. "Last time she saw me, I was working for an organization that she knew next to nothing about." Fitz nodded. "And now, with SHIELD still on the run and 0-8-4's not being revealed to the public, I have no idea what we'll tell her."

   "And your dad?"

   "Probably will just ruff you up and give you the fatherhood talk, like he did to my sister's fiancé." Jemma shrugged.

   "Oh." Fitz bit his lip. "I, uh, called my Mum."

   "What did she say?"

   "I didn't tell her ab-about the-the baby." Fitz stutters. "She wants to meet us at the airport."

   "Tell her 'thank you', I hate cabbies." Jemma nods. 

----- -:x:- -----

   After a very awkward conversation with Mr & Mrs Simmons and Mrs Fitz, Jemma laid beside her boyfriend.

   "What's it like?" Leo suddenly asked, "-To feel the baby move?"

   Jemma exhaled, looking at him deftly before grabbing his hand and pressing it to her stomach. The baby pushed against her side, rippling under the biochemist's skin.

   Leo stared forward, unblinking as he gaped. "And it's inside of you."

   "That's generally where babies are grown, Fitz." Jemma replied curtly.

   "I know, but. . . you can't turn it off."

   At that, Simmons burst out laughing. "I don't want to!"

   "Except for feeling like you're a part of Aliens."

   "Not quite. To low, They're sometimes on my bladder." Jemma sighed. The silence between them was awkward, and Jemma suddenly said, "Do you wonder about the gender?"

   Leo was quiet before nodding.

   "Mack and Elena are waiting, letting it be a surprise." Jemma rambled, "Bobbi and Hunter are waiting too." She paused. "Daisy texted me that she let Lincoln find out, but the doctor didn't tell her until She dragged it out of him later, unable to not know any longer."

   "What's Daisy having?"

   "Female." Jemma nodded. "I haven't heard from Coulson or May."

   "What about us?" Fitz bit his lip. "Do you want to find out?"

   "Do you?"

   "Kinda." Fitz admitted.

    "Me too." Jemma said. "We'll ask them at the doctor's tomorrow."

   "Deal." Fitz said, letting the two of them enjoy each other's company next the each other, happily in Jemma's parent's home. Fitz's mother occupied The Simmon's home's guest room. Leo and Jemma in the biochemist's childhood room.

   "I worry about May though."

   "Why?" Fitz frowned.

   "Because of the FSH." Jemma pursed her lips. "And her age."

   "You think May is too old?"

   "And considering her size. . ."

    "May is to old and to small?" Fitz's eyes went wider as he expected the specialist herself to jump out and strangle them for calling her 'small'.

    "Not quite. . ." Jemma said. "And, well, with Coulson's dominant european genes fighting her smaller body asian ones, May might require a caesarian section." Jemma told him. "Natural labour might be out of the question."

    Fitz snorted. "You think the baby won't fit?!?" 

   "What?!? No!!!" Jemma lightly hit his arm. "Women's bodies are specifically designed to-" She paused, seeing his face. "Sorry." She smiled.

   Fitz hummed. "And you? You want the baby natural?"

   "Of course!"

----- -:x:- -----

   "WHAT?" Jemma squealed, suddenly sitting up.

   "Baby A and Baby B are both healthy-" The obstetrician repeated. "Surely you knew you were having twins?"

   "NO!" Jemma and Fitz exclaimed in unison. 

   The Doctor rubbed the bridge of her nose.  "Do you want the genders?"

   "Plural?" Fitz stammered.

   "Fraternal twins." The doctor sighed with a smile. "You're having. . . "

    Fitz leaned forward, Jemma waited, time slowing down, just crawling by. 

    ". . . a boy and a girl."

----- -:x:- -----

   A month later and Jemma was happily at 34 weeks theoretically, even though she had been carrying the babies for a month, and was finally ready to go home. With tearful goodbyes to her parents and re-emerging passports, The two geniuses boarded a plane bound for the US.

   Sleeping most of the way back, Jemma and Fitz yawned away the jetlag and retrieved their suitcases, heading through the airport.

   Walking beside Fitz, Jemma smiled at him until she suddenly felt the terribly recognizable feel of a gunpoint in her back, pointing right into her belly. The smell of the Amazon leather and wool uniforms filled her nose and made her freeze. A feminine voice hissed in her ear,

   "Keep this quiet, and nobody dies."