Chapter 19

(two days ago) 

    "We're assuming that all the babies were speed-grown to about the same time, and since Agent May delivered at what we assume was 34 weeks, I'm going to peg you at around the same time." The OB/GYN stated.

     "Point?" Mack sighed, folding his arms.

     "Thirty-four to thirty-six weeks is the turning point for preeclampsia, when it gets progressively worse... " The doctor told the two, "It's time to start preparing for your c-section you were planning."

     "Natural birth is out of question?" Elena sighed.

     "It is your body, so it is your choice, but I highly recommend a c-section," the doctor nodded. 

     Mack looked to Elena, "It's your choice."

     "can you give us a moment?" Elena asked the OB/GYN, who smiled and left, closing the door behind her. "What about my powers?"

     "You're afraid you or the baby is at risk?" Mack asked slowly, taking her hand.

     "I..." Elena bit her lip, running a hand over her bump, "I don't want any accidents."

     "I'll be there, Yo-Yo. You know I'm good at concealing my weapons."

     "Then let's go for it."

-:x:-

     (back to May's perspective & regular timeline)

    Phil was setting up in the new house while May recovered at the base med bay. He had been gone all day, moving stuff into the house for Melinda to eventually help him sort. But being alone with a baby was proving itself to be one of the hardest things on Melinda's list of accomplishments. She was bonding, yes, but three days after birth, with Phil gone to prepare for them and the women Melinda most trusted off worrying about their own babies, She felt alone. Very alone.

     But she had Julie.

     Melinda had found that sitting by the window holding her baby was one of the most relaxing experiences ever. Melinda was able to perform most of everything the needed to go through the day; walk, stay awake, breastfeed, change Julie's clothes without to much trouble. Sure, Melinda was't exactly able to stand very long, but she was healing.

     Phil called her midmorning. He was still bringing boxes from the Post office (It's easier to track a moving vehicle versus a hundred cardboard boxes in the US postal service). Phil was unloading the packages and audibly hauling them when he called. Melinda could imagine him holding the phone to his ear by his shoulder, "Hey Mel, how are you and baby?" He asked her.

     "This is harder than I expected." She had answered, glancing down to stare again at Julie. Melinda pulled the baby's cap farther over her head.

     "She fussing to much?"

    "I don't know what 'to much' is." Melinda admitted slowly.

     "I missed you two." He said, and the background noise went quiet. He'd stopped. "I'll drive back for lunch." He told her.

    "Good." Melinda sighed, her hand gracing her fingertips over Julie's thin dark hair.

     "It's weird, ya know?" Phil interrupted her reverie, "Not just that we're parents now... But we made her- well, you did the hard work." Phil paused, "But I didn't know I could love someone so much after only three days." Phil agreed, "It's just... I had one Melinda, and a ghost of something more... then you became two. I can't fathom it. I'm a dad, Melinda, I don't know how to -Melinda? Are you crying?"