Chapter 20

For anyone who has been wondering, Shareta's name is pronounced "Shāre-tuh"

-Karis

----- -:x:- -----

    Melinda's wrists were raw from her straining against the chains. How pitiful, to be restrained like a dog, watching her baby sleep, unaware of the danger around her.

    May knew she could easily dislocate her wrist to get her hands free, but what about her ankles? She knew there wasn't any course of action except to wait. And if one of her jailers returned to find her hands free, who knew how they would punish her. 

    Melinda decided that the best course of action was to get some rest. The room was warm enough that Melinda didn't feel cold. That probably wasn't even good enough for Julie, though. The baby needed heating. Julie's body isn't mature enough to keep itself warm without assistance. Melinda needed to keep her daughter warm.

     Her body's clock was telling her it wasn't time to rest, but May was going to have to stay sane. She could listen for Julie at any time, and Shareta would be back, right?

   It took two hours, as promised, for Shareta to return and open the door. The girl carried a small tray and a blanket, setting them down beside May before walking to the middle of the room and picking up Julie with utmost care in order not to wake her. 

    "How are the other women? Jemma, Bobbi, and Daisy?" May asked.

    "I cannot say." Shareta looked away as she answered, lowering Julie into Melinda's arms. The girl sat down, ready to monitor Melinda, "You may feed her when she wakes. Your time does not start until you begin to feed her." Shareta said.

    "Understood." Melinda answered, and looked down at Julie's so far unharmed face. The baby was cold.

    "Is something wrong?" Shareta asked.

    "I should be allowed to keep her." Melinda took off her shirt with no consideration for her nudity, and unwrapped Julie, pressing the child to her warm skin, covering her again with the blanket. "Julie can't keep warm without me."

     "But..." Shareta's brows furrowed. "Maybe I can arrange-"

    "No. This is a demand I must make. I should be allowed to provide for my baby. You said so yourself." Melinda interrupted the girl.

     "My Queen's orders were to keep you and Julie separat-"

    "The health of my baby should override your Queen's orders." Melinda's hands rubbed Julie's cold skin as the baby woke, her tiny fingers curling around the tips of Melinda's unruly hair. 

    "Yes." Shareta considered Melinda's point.

    "My daughter needs me. And never, ever think that I won't do everything I can to make sure she stays with me." Melinda warned, then turned her attention to Julie. The baby's mouth opened and closed, tiny hot breaths escaping to puff on Melinda's skin. "My baby." Melinda sighed, her cheek to Julie's soft head of hair, "You'll be safe with me."

     Shareta sat with her knees to her chest, watching.

     Melinda ignored the girl, instead focusing on her baby. "She's soiled herself. I need to change her diaper." 

   "Of course." Shareta leapt up, and retrieved the needed things from the table on the other side of the room. Suddenly, a plan formed in May's head.

     "Can I use a toilet?" Melinda asked. Shareta stilled, her hands freezing as they held Julie's toiletries. 

    "Give me your baby." Shareta

    "Of course." May nodded, and handed Julie to Shareta, who set the baby down on the table. She hesitantly called in another amazon woman, who glared at Melinda while she spoke in Amazonian and unlocked the chains from around Melinda's wrists and ankles. May rubbed her arms, marks from the iron ties forming on her. Shareta began the task of changing Julie's diaper and cleaning the little baby up. 

    Melinda did her business then silently crept up behind the Amazonian woman who had been watching over her. May struck her soundly on the neck, hitting a pressure point hard enough to knock her out instantly. May lowered the body to the ground, and turned her attention to Shareta.

    The girl was staring, Julie in her arms.

    "She just fell over." Melinda tried, but Shareta bolted for the door, Julie in her arms. "Don't you dare," May threatened, catching up to her and wrapping her arms around Shareta's middle. She had to be careful in order not to injure Julie in the process. 

    Shareta's yelp was smothered by May's hand. May twisted the girl to the floor, wrestling with her until Julie was out of harm's way, and May swiftly knocked her out.

    Picking Julie up off the floor, May winced as her healing midsection exploded with pain. Her breasts ached and Julie was about to start crying. "Not now, baby." May pleaded with her daughter, splaying the child over her chest and tying the blanket around her in the best Moby wrap she could do. With Julie secured to her and May's hands free, she had a better chance at escape.

    May prepared herself when she approached the iron door, pushing it open. Suddenly, the ground shook. Dust sifted to the ground of the brightly lit hallway, and bits of stone fell to the floor. The Amazons in uniform registered May, rushing at her.

    Another Quake split stone, and May was hardly able to dodge the women when a loud scream tore through the halls.

    Daisy.