002

BACK AT THE COMPOUND, Alaïa was in her room hearing what the news were saying about her. Upset at what they were saying, Alaïa put her knee up and had her hand on her knee. The newscasters were bashing on her, and though it hurt Alaïa's self esteem; Alaïa agreed with them.

She got used to the comments that people made about her when Steve first found her. But this, was a different level of hate because she was responsible for many lives lost.

Leaning on her hand, the tv screen suddenly went black. Alaïa quickly turned towards the door and saw Steve. She looked away not wanting to say anything.

He came closer to the teen. "I just came from Wanda's room, and I'm going to give you the same speech what I said to her to you."

Alaïa didn't reply, and she just sat there remembering what happened from that day, and everything was flooding back to her. It was her first time out with the Avengers, and people already have passed. She felt horrible, and she knew her mental health went rock bottom again.

"It wasn't your fault what happened in Lagos, Alaïa." Steve started.

"It is Steve. Innocent people lost their lives. I should have been able to keep the bomb in the force field."

"But you didn't. I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it."

Alaïa turned her body to face Steve allowing Steve to continue.

"Rumlow said Bucky and all of sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again in Brooklyn."

"I get it, but it doesn't change the blame. The fact that I could have held it more makes me even more upset."

Steve sighed hearing that come out of her mouth, "we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes, that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that maybe nobody gets saved."

Alaïa grew silent then slowly nodded her head understanding what Steve was saying.

He was right.

"C'mon Stark brought a guest and we are going to have a meeting." Steve said getting up and walking out of Alaïa's room.

Alaïa didn't move from her spot. "Can I skip? I need some air. I haven't left the compound all day and yesterday."

Steve looked at her then slowly nodded. He knew that she needed a break from all this. She is still a teenager of course. Alaïa stood up and went towards her closet to grab a sweater. She walked out of her bedroom passing Steve going towards the exit of the compound.

"Be back before it gets dark, Alaïa." Steve said though the halls.

Alaïa nodded at Steve's request, and put in her Airpods in her ears as she started to walk into the city. Alaïa felt eyes on her as she saw people do a second take seeing Alaïa casually walk down the street.

The public were in the middle of the topic for 'superhero.' Some people love and admire the Avengers, but the other half dislike them with a passion.

Alaïa at first didn't understand how people can dislike the Avengers for simply risking their lives for others. Now, Alaïa can understand both sides especially what happened in Lagos a few days ago.

This was what Alaïa needed to get her mind off of everything. Sometimes her mind wonders what her life would be like if she didn't have these abilities and grew up in a normal stable home. She took a deep breath and ignored the guilt inside of her when she remembered what happened to her parents. Alaïa knew she cannot blame herself for her parent's death, but Alaïa still felt guilty for not saying goodbye.

She pulled out her phone to realize that she had been walking for hours and made her way into Queens. Alaïa's eyes widened seeing that information, and decided to go into a small deli shop, get some snacks so she can fly back to Manhattan.

Walking into the small deli shop their eyes shift to the teen who just entered. There was another teenage boy waiting for his sandwich then the owner and cooks. Alaïa grabbed some candy and went in front of the cashier.

"Welcome! How can I help you?" The owner said with a smile.

"Just this." Alaïa simply said dryly.

"Are you sure? We do have the best sandwiches in Queens. Right Parker?"

Alaïa turned to the boy behind her who was already looking at her. Her eyes immediately locked with his, and she watched him nod agreeing with the owner not looking away from her.

She turned back to the owner to answer dryly again. "I'm not that hungry."

The owner nodded not pushing the girl, and scanned her candy. Alaïa saw the tv behind him catching her attention. She realized that Wanda's and her face across the screen with the caption of 'terrorist' on the bottom. Alaïa looked down biting the inside of her cheek—feeling ashamed.

The owner noticed Alaïa's expression towards the tv then smiled at her. "Don't listen to them. They don't know how hard it is saving people." He said, handing her the candy.

"Thank you." Alaïa said said, taking in his compliment with a warm smile. "Oh! How much?" She asked quickly, taking out her phone and opening in between her phone and her case to pull out some cash that she kept.

"Don't worry it's on me." The owner said nicely.

Alaïa gave him a small smile then turned to walk out, but bumped into the teenage boy who was trying to get his sandwich behind her.

"Oh god, I-I'm sorry about it."

"It's fine." Alaïa said looking up at him.

They looked at each other for a few seconds then he spoke up. "I'm Peter." He said, extending his hand.

"Alaïa." The young girl said, shaking his hand.

She took her hand back, "you know it was my fault that bumped into you. Not the other way around right?"

"Yeah, but it's always good to apologize to a pretty girl like you."

There was silence between the pair. The teenage boy surprised himself by saying that to a girl who he just met. Peter doesn't say those things to people let alone someone who he just met, but something came over him to make Peter say that.

I felt starstruck in that moment.

Alaïa started to blush at his comment. He noticed her rosy cheeks then immediately started to apologize.

"I-I'm sorry, I s-shouldn't have said that—"

"It's okay. That's sweet of you." She said with a warm, soft smile. Alaïa looked at the window behind Peter to see the sun setting. "I have to go, but I'll see you around?" She offered quickly already heading towards the exit of the shop.

Before Peter could reply, Alaïa was gone, and jumped into the air flying away effortlessly. The boy smiled to himself knowing that he might see her again. Replying the scenario of what just happened made the blush on his cheeks vibrant.

Landing outside the entrance of the compound, Alaïa walked in with a smile on her face. She opened her candy as Alaïa passed Sam who noticed her smile and stopped walking noticing how she was smiling for the first time in days.

"Alaïa?"

Alaïa hummed in response, and turned to face him.

"I'm guessing the walk helped."

She nodded her head then continued walking to her room with the candy in her hand. Sam chuckled at the young teen and continued to walk in the direction he was originally going to. Alaïa went into her room and collapsed on her bed thinking about the boy that she just met a few minutes ago.