6

Next morning I wake up with my stomach aching, just as I had predicted. Despite that, I am happy, because today is Saturday. And Saturday is the only day of the week that dad has agreed to let me out to meet up with Jimin, providing I come home well before the sky begins to darken. It doesn't matter that I will only be going to Jimin's house, as long as I will be out of here that is all I want. I quickly get washed and dressed then charge down the stairs. Dad is sitting at the kitchen table with a mug of tea, reading the newspaper. 

"Morning, dad." He doesn't answer me. He is too engrossed in his paper. "Dad!"

"What? Oh, morning, son." Dad looks deathly pale like he's seen a ghost.

"What's wrong dad? Has something happened?"

"You could say that." He mumbles.

 He folds the newspaper up and sits on it. That doesn't worry me; he always does that because he never allows me to read the news. I'm not even allowed to watch the news, he says it will scare me, and it's just for adults anyway.

"Hoseok, you can't go out today."

"What? But dad you said that I could, you agreed as long as I only go to Jimin's house."

"And now I'm saying no. You're staying home, no arguments."

"Dad!" I whine.

He roars at me. "What did I just say?!"

I don't understand. He agreed that I could go out and now he's taking it back?! I sit at the table pouting, hoping I can annoy dad enough for him to change his mind.

"Sulking isn't going to work Hoseok."

Fuck!

"Dad, did I do something wrong?"

He shoots me a confused look. "Why would you think that?"

"Because I'm being punished."

"Son, you're not being punished. I just want to keep you safe."

"Safe from what? Fun?" The minute I say that I know it was a mistake. Dad glares at me, and I fear he will strike me. "I'm sorry!" I quickly apologise. 

Thankfully I'm saved by Yoongi slumping in the chair beside me.

Dad clears his throat. "Morning, son."

"Mmm." Yoongi mumbles. "Hey, dad. Have you seen the news?"

"Enough, Yoongi!" Dad snaps. "You'll scare your brother."

Yoongi snorts. "Are you serious? 

Dad remains stone-faced. "Very."

"Well, I suppose it is kinda scary. Being so close and all." 

"Yoongi!" Dad slams his hands down on the table. 

"Wow, okay, dad, chill!"

"What happened?" I ask meekly.

"Hoseok go to your room."

"What? But I just got up."

"GO!"

I sigh and stomp up the stairs to my room. Is life supposed to be like this? Do all dads act that way? Why doesn't Yoongi gets sent to his room? What the fuck did I do? I kick my bedroom door shut, and because that's not enough to show I feel, I throw things around my room. I glare at my drawers and kick them. 

CRACK

"FUCKING OW!"

I crumple to the floor, screaming and crying in agony. Moments later, dad is by my side, cradling me and ordering Yoongi to get the car keys. 

"Hoseok!" Dad yells in panic. "What hurts?!" 

"My toes! Dad, I think they're fucking broken!"

"I'll let the foul language slide for now as I think you're right." Dad gulps. 

Yoongi rushes back into my room and kneels over me, eyeing my foot. "Fuck Hoseok that's disgusting!" He laughs.

"Yoongi! Language!"

"Fuck off, Yoongi!" I scream.

"oh, for fuck sake!" Dad yells.

______________________________________________

The three of us now sit in A&E, waiting to be seen. I'm still crying in dad's arms while Yoongi is giggling to himself. I don't care if I look like a baby right now, this fucking hurts! Dad is a complete wreak. He is Sweating, crying now and then, muttering to himself that he should take any threatening objects out of my bedroom when we get back. He keeps asking the receptionists how much longer and all he gets in response Is soon. I can't deal with this pain much longer, it's making me dizzy, and I want to be sick. Correction. I'm going to be sick! And there it goes, all over the floor and dad's shoes. Patients in the row ahead of us were luckily spared from the soggy gloop but, they still glare and complain anyway. 

"I'm sorry," I mumble to them. A few smile, others continue to glare. 

An older woman beside dad and me pats my lap.  "Don't worry dear. You can't help it. If they want to see stunning imagery, they shouldn't have come to the hospital." She chuckles. 

"Thank you." I smile feebly. "I broke my toes, I think." I have no idea why I'm telling her, perhaps the painkillers dad fed me is making me babble. 

"Oh, dear!" She gasps. "Don't you worry, they will fix you right up. I had that too once. The pain is horrendous but, you are a fit young boy, you can take it. And look!"

"What?" I blink around dumbly.

"You have already forgotten the pain by talking to me." She laughs, and so does dad. "Keep yourself, distracted dear, that is how you brave it."

I nod at her. I sense an end of the conversation, but I don't want to stop talking to her or I think the pain will be unbearable again. "Why are you here?" I ask.

"Hoseok!" Dad tuts. "Don't be rude." 

"That's quite alright, dear. Children should always question the world around them. I am here many times young man. I have a nasty heart problem and end up having heart attacks. But to the surprise of many, I always know when an attack is due. So here I am. Waiting for it."

"What?" I frown. "How do you know?"

"I can sense it. Feel it? I'm not too sure myself. I just know that I've yet to be wrong about it. Always trust your intuition dear, its often always right."

"Jung Hoseok!" calls a doctor.

"Oh, that's us." Dad picks me up and carries me bridal style. "Thank you, Mrs?"

"Lewis." she smiles. "You're very welcome."

Once inside the small room, dad sets me down on the bed and sits beside me in a chair. He ordered Yoongi to wait in the waiting area as he could not stop laughing at me. 

"Okay." The doctor smiles at me. "Hoseok, you thought you broke your toes, well I can tell you right now that it's clear that you have. Have you not seen it?"

"I don't want to!" I whimper.

"He is squeamish, and he really hates blood." dad explains.

"Blood?!" I squeal.

dad buries my face in his chest. "It's alright, Hoseok. Just don't look."

I hate when anyone says that, because that's when you know it's horrible. I close my eyes tight. 

"You're going to need an x-ray so we can see just how badly you have damaged them. Then we will work from there. You will need a cast, though."

"Okay." I cry. "Will it hurt?"

"Yes, but we will administer you with pain relief, and it won't be as painful."

"Dad?" I whimper.

"It has to be done, son. I will be with you, don't worry." Dad kisses my head. I have no other choice but to trust him and the doctor. I can't exactly run away now, can I?