8

"Five months!" I yell.

It's already been one month since I broke my toes. And I've been cooped up in my room ever since. Now, dad tells me it's going to take five more months for me to heal! I don't get to go to school either, five more months stuck at home, I cant cope with that! I need to be out. I'm like a caged animal. Not that I was much better off before, but at least I had school to go to. Now, dad home schools me. I have zero freedom.

"It will soon pass Hoseok," Dad tells me.

"No, it won't! Time only passes when you're having fun."

Dad sighs. ", I know you're down, son. So I have decided that since you can't go to school, I will allow Jimin to come to visit you."

"Are you serious?" I gasp. Did he really say that or am I finally losing my mind?

"I'm serious. But only Jimin, okay? No one else. So why don't you give Jimin a call and ask him to visit you on Saturday?"

"Dad!" I beam with tears in my eyes. "You don't know how much that means to me."

Dad hugs me. "Yes, I do son."

"Thank you so much!"

Dad smiles and leaves my room. I'm sure I saw tears in his eyes too, but why would he get teary? I shrug it off and grab my phone—time to let Jimin know that I've finally got visitation rights.

___________________________

After marvelling at my room like he's never seen one before Jimin sits with me on my bad and tells me that school is still the same old dull prison and I'm not missing much.

"You're wrong," I tell him. "School isn't the prison, this is."

Jimin nods. "Well...I suppose it is for you. But now they tell us that our parents have to pick us up from school. And now none of us is allowed to wander outside in the dark. A few still do, though."

I frown at him, utterly confused. "Why have they done that?"

Jimin gives me a puzzled look. "You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?"

"About the kidnappings and murders."

"What? What do you mean?"

"Hobi kids from our school are being targeted by some weirdo freak. How can you not know about that?"

Now I know why dad hid the newspaper from me and warned Yoongi not to say anything.

"So, there's a...killer here in our town?" I swallow. A chill runs through my body.

"Yeah. But don't worry. He'll be caught eventually. And you're safe stuck in here."

"But what about you?"

"I'm safe too Hobi. I promise. I'm not going anywhere."

I remember Daniel in the hospital. I wonder, was he a victim?

"Jimin, what happened to Daniel?"

"He was one of the victims. He told the doctors before he died, that if he dies, it's because he was meant to. The police think that might be something the killer told him."

"How did he get away?"

"He didn't. He was left on the doorstep of his house for his parents to find in the morning. He did that with each victim, and so far, none of them survived. They were found too late."

I shiver. Fear gripping my throat. "How many victims?" I croak. "Are our friends safe?"

"Four victims. And yes, our friends are okay. They are safe."

_________________________

That night I was awoken time and time again by nightmares. I was being chased by a crazy person wanting to cut me open. Dad was furious. He heard my screams, and I had to tell him that I knew about the killer. However, I didn't say to him that Jimin told me. He would put a stop to the visits no doubt. I told him that I had seen the papers.

"Hoseok, this is why I didn't want you to know about it! I have to keep you safe!"

"I know dad. I'm sorry."

Dad hugs me tight in my bed until I fall back to sleep. I'm angry with myself. I should have trusted him. All this time, I had hated how I was kept away from the outside, but he was just protecting me from the horrors that lay in wait for me.

Jungkook has messaged me every day. He is asking if I'm alright. I'm tempted to text him back, but I shouldn't. He betrayed me. I think. Well, did he really do me wrong? In his own way, he was doing the same as dad. He was protecting me. I can't hate him for that. I don't hate him. I like him.

By now, I have gotten over the shock of the killer. I try, but I can't ignore it. I must know more about the case. I check every update, as though I can solve it. I can't, but I want to. I'm engrossed in it, and I have to make sure my friends aren't the victims. When dad sleeps, I watch the news. I try to stay awake as long as I can, cramming in every bit of information that I can before I grow too tired and have to go to sleep.

My dreams have changed. Now I am chasing the killer. Who knows, I might make a good detective in the future. By now, I have figured out that each of the victims is those I have had trouble with in the past. Is the killer disposing of my bullies? What a scary thought. Since I only have a few friends and pretty much the rest of the school hates me, I think it is evident that it cant be anything to do with me. Just a mere coincidence. I'm not that special. Besides, I don't think anyone would go as far as to kill for me, that's just ludicrous.