On Finding Chance - Part 2 (Madie's View) - Chapter 10

It is Harvey's 2nd night in the hospital. I persuaded mom and dad to go home and get some proper rest; I can take care of him tonight. Besides, there are a number of nurses who are dying to look out for this heartthrob.

He is like an angel when he sleeps. I come closer to him and kiss him goodnight. I try to sleep as well but there are too many things running in my mind. Ever since this Chance guy popped into my life, I have been restless. I check again on Harvey before leaving the room. Maybe walking can help clear my thoughts.

The nursing station is near his room. Three nurses are having a good laugh when I cut in. I know nothing will happen to my brother while I am away but I want to make sure that someone is looking out for him. Good thing one of them is very eager to take the offer.

The hospital is quiet and eerie at night. Ghost stories enter my mind. Fear is starting to creep in my system. Why did I decide to walk again? Gosh! I am such a loser when it comes to this stuff. I want to run back to the room but my body tenses when I suddenly hear footsteps. I try to walk forward but I am stiff as a rock, my leg will not follow what my brain is instructing. The footsteps are getting louder, nearer to me. WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? Oh! What the hell! I close my eyes and turn around.

When I open them again, a guy is staring at me. We are only an arm's length apart. I glance up at him. He is as tall as Harvey, maybe 183cm. His hair which dances between black and brown is short on the sides but long enough to reach half of his forehead. Behind his glasses are eyes slightly bigger than mine. Why do I feel as if I have seen them before? He does not blink. He looks as surprised as I am. Slowly, he pokes my cheek and lets his index finger stay there for a few seconds.

THIS. IS. AWKWARD.

Brought back to Earth, he suddenly straightens up. "Sorry" he says and bows while touching the back of his head. I can't help myself and start laughing.

"Hahaha! Sorry! I thought I was the only one afraid of ghosts. Haha! Sorry!", I say.

He stares at me again. I stop laughing. Did I offend him? Why is he looking at me like that? Then unexpectedly, he smiles. OMG!!!!! If a smile can kill, I'm definitely 100% dead now.

"If you're afraid of ghosts then why are you roaming around the hospital alone in the middle of the night?" he utters in his crazily beautiful Australian accent.

"I can ask the same to you," I reply, feeling witty.

"Because I'm a doctor", he grins.

That is when I noticed the stethoscope. He looks really young to be a doctor though.

"Touché, doc. Touché," I answer in defeat.

"Anyway, uh...why are you here again?" he asks.

I tell him about Harvey and my struggle finding sleep but do not delve much into details. Suddenly, his pager beeps. "Sorry" he says and runs towards the stairs but stops right after two flights. He looks back at me, "chapel is right up here" and continues running.

I replay the scene in my head over and over again. It is astonishing to know that in spite of technology's boom, the hospital still uses pagers. But the bigger surprise, though, is my heart pounding faster than normal.

Does he know me? Who is this guy?