0.1 flight risk

"Holy shit!" Marcos exclaimed as the wheel of the car literally froze up on him.

"You need to calm down before you kill us." John said in a calm voice, in an effort to calm down not only Akira but everyone else in the car.

"The whole road is turning to ice!" Lorna shouted and it was true. It was spreading out around them, the ice was reaching in all directions. It was climbing up light posts, buildings, mailboxes and other cars on the road.

"I cant control it!" Akira wailed. John watched her irises flash brown and then blue and back again rapidly. "I've never been able to control it." She could feel herself beginning to cry. John put her hand on her shoulder and was instantly burned by the cold. "Don't! I could hurt you." Akira said, staring at his hand. It was already turning blue.

"I'm tougher than I look. Now listen to me, what's your name?" Akira paused. If she told them her name.. They would be afraid.

"Yuki." She spit out, using the only name she could think of at the moment. John smiled.

"Okay Yuki. I just want you to close your eyes and breath in through your nose and out through your mouth." Marcos was trying to use his ability to unfreeze the wheel while Lorna tried to levitate the entire car off of the road.

"Th-that won't..." Akira stuttered out.

"Trust me, okay?" John said, he took her hand and she squeezed it tightly. The frost was moving up his arm slowly. If he kept touching her, frostbite would set in. "In through your nose and out through your mouth." Akira decided to trust him, despite only knowing him for five minutes. Closing her eyes, she breathed in slowly and exhaled.

"John whatever you're going to do, hurry it up!" Lorna snapped at them. Terrified screams of people could be heard outside as well as metal crushing metal as cars skid into one another all around them.

"Now picture the ice melting." Akira scrunched up her nose, eyes still closed.

"That never..."

"Trust me." John repeated. "Keep breathing like that and just imagine ice slowly disappearing." Akira breathed in deeply and as she exhaled, John began to get some feeling back into his arm and his hand. "Just like that." He said, finally being able to feel Akira squeezing his hand back. "Picture the ice evaporating off of the car, the road." Akira ground her teeth.

"I can't..." She began, voice wavering.

"You can. I promise." John insisted. "If you can create it, you can undo it." Akira breathed in again, nodded and exhaled. The frost on the windshields melted. The ice covering the wheels and doors turned back to water vapor but the road behind them remained slick with ice. The buildings, cars and light posts were all still frosty. Lorna dropped the car back down onto the road and everyone jerked forward.

"Did it work?" Akira asked, letting go of John's hand and turning around. Outside though, the ice was still spreading to the trees, parked cars, and over the road, although a little slower now. "Oh god. It's going to..."

"Don't freak out." Lorna commanded. "And I'm sorry about this but..." As Akira turned back around in her seat, Lorna reached around and punched her in the face as hard as she could.

"Lorna!" John shouted as Akira fell back onto the seat, knocked out cold. "What the hell was that for!"

"Look." Marcos said. The ice had stopped. Snow was no longer beginning to fall.

"Riley was right. This mission would've been a failure if I hadn't come along." Lorna said, settling back into her seat. John sighed heavily and looked back at Akira. He brushed some of her hair out of her face and then settled back into his seat, keeping a close eye on her.