Chapter XIII

Half an hour later (I'm guessing), I hear the door open quietly and a small, dark skinned woman appears with a tray of food. She is a little older than the last woman he sent. Her laugh lines are deep. Her black hair is in a messy bun, and her eyes seem sad. They are brown, but not shit colored like the doctor's. I glare at her, regardless, but do not speak. She marches silently over and sits the tray on the night table next to the bed.

"You can tell him I'm not eating that. Take it back please."

She stops in her tracks and looks at me nervously.

"Mr. Kingsley will be angered if you don't, misses. He told me to make sure your plate was clear when I came back." Her voice lowers slightly, "It would be in both of our best interests not to defy him."

The woman looks as if she is scared now, but she is trying and failing to mask it. I give her a questioning look.

"Why do you say that? What if I don't eat - what happens?"

She swallows and looks around cautiously, as if Ever is lurking somewhere in the non-existent shadows of the room, awaiting her answer.

"Well.. he may terminate me. If he did, he would make sure I was never hired anywhere again," she answers with a look of sincerity. He doesn't have that kind of power, does he?

"And you.. well, you would be punished, I'm sure. Mr. Kingsley can be a fine man on some occasions, but he is not gentle - and he has quite a temper. I've never seen him with.. well, a girl. But I hear rumors.." she trails off, whispering at this point. I think she's going to continue, but she apologizes instead, and turns around, making her way to the door swiftly. I can hear her muttering on to herself about how she had spoken out of place.

I don't try to stop her or make her answer any further questions. She was clearly already uncomfortable, and our very short conversation had been the nicest one I've had while here.

I look over to the silver tray she had sat beside me. Upon it lay grilled chicken breast, mashed potatoes and peas. I can hear my stomach rumble at the sight of it, but my pride prevents me from reaching for it. Instead, I lay down fully, away from the food. My arm uncomfortably hanging from the headboard behind me.

I think about what the lady had said before she left. He wouldn't fire her simply because I didn't eat. Would he? Ever is clearly a complete hard-ass, anyone can see that. But firing her would be a bit extreme, seeing as how it's up to me entirely as to whether or not I eat. How could he ruin someone's life because of my simple decision?

I then think back to how I've been kidnapped. How I'm handcuffed to a bed in some unknown location.

Oh yeah, that does make sense.

I lay there for a long while, and eventually I decide that I wouldn't risk it. I sit-up on the side of the bed, my knees grazing the bottom of the tray. I know that I'm starving. I'm not sure when I ate last, and currently have no concept of time. I've been here at the very least a day, possibly two.

As I look at the food before me, my stomach churns - but not as if I'm hungry. In fact I grow sick the longer I look at the plate. I take a drink from the glass of clear carbonated liquid sitting next to the tray. I quickly realize it to be Sprite. A good choice.

I sit the drink back down and enter into a staring contest with the food. Not ten seconds later, I hear my door being unlocked and the same woman appears before me.

She looks down at the full plate of food before us, and her eyes shift further into sadness, maybe even fear.

"I'm going to eat, I'm just not feeling very well. How could I?" I ask her quietly as our eyes meet. I can tell at that moment, that she does genuinely fear the consequence for my small action.

"I know the circumstances are off putting, misses. But you really must eat your food before I leave this room. Mr Kingsley wants the entire plate clean, he said you hadn't ate in days. He'll be by the kitchen to check it."

"What is your name?" I ask her, ignoring everything she had just said. Instead, I'm wondering how she ended up with this job. There was no mistake, she knew I was kidnapped. But, she seems so.... nice. She seems gentle. Like a mother, or even a grandmother.

She pauses for a moment, unsure of whether or not she should answer me.

"Angela," she finally says apprehensively. 

"Angela, you realize that I'm being -" I stop when I hear see the door reopen behind her.

His aurora fills the whole room immediately.

It's as if the light dims the moment he steps inside. He moves until he's towering next to Angela. Her eyes shut momentarily and he looks at my untouched tray.

His jaw tightens as his eyes find their way to mine.

"I believe I left very clear instructions for the both you. Angela, this is the simplest task I've assigned you all week. Why is there food still on her plate?" He asks her, but his eyes don't falter from my own.

"She's been trying to make me eat for an hour. I'm nauseas, so I refused. How am I supposed to eat when I'm sick to my stomach?"

A moment passes.

"Angela, leave us." He finally demands, and she scurries away quickly.

He drops two large book bags onto the ground, next to the chair. I hadn't noticed them on either side of his back when he had came in. One was a light shade of pink, and the other an aqua with white polka dots. I recognize both of them and for a second I wish would have seen the sight of him carrying them on his back.

"Are those mine?" I ask as he takes a seat in the same chair as earlier.

"Yes. I gathered some of your things that I thought you might want. Anything that you're missing, I can buy. Just tell me."

"I want to go home." I state simply, ignoring his previous statement.

He replies quickly, with a curt "No."

My face grows feel hot instantly. 

"You can't just keep me here!" I try to yell, but my voice breaks. I find myself embarrassed that I sound like this: so delicate. So gentle compared to his deep, demanding tone. 

"Oh, can't I?" He replies harshly.

His gaze is heavy. I usually have no problem with keeping eye contact, but his stare is so intimidating. I find myself looking at my thighs once again.

"I'll pay the debt," I tell him. I'll work the rest of my life to pay you, if that's what you want.. I did nothing wrong."

"Unfortunate to find yourself in the right place at the wrong time, yes? And you will pay off the debt. But you will pay it off in whatever ways that I demand of you. Now stop talking, and eat your food."

I balled my hands into fists, and clenched my teeth at his words.

"I won't do anything you ask of me. I'd rather starve than eat your food."

He mockingly laughs at my words.

"Look at me, Ori." I keep my eyes down.

"Look. At. Me." He spits coldly and loudly. Against my will, my eyes move up to meet his.

"You will do everything that I say, and then some. And you'll start with eating every last bite of your food."

I begin to object but he continues,

"However, I will give you a small choice in this matter: either you can eat like a good girl, and I'll remove your handcuffs so you may move comfortably, or," he leans forward and his eyes grow darker, "you can stay handcuffed to the bed, and I will force every bit of it down your throat. You have ten seconds to decide."

I swallow audibly. If he takes the handcuff off, I have a better chance of escaping. On the seventh second, I pick up my fork and begin to eat.

"That's a good girl," He taunts darkly.