Chapter XIX

I open my eyes to Ever's dimly lit bedroom. I see the sun is just beginning to rise outside, telling me that's it's probably around six in the morning. I roll onto my back and look around: I am in his bed, but the spot beside me is still made. I don't smell his scent. I sigh in relief that he didn't sleep next to me.

I must have fallen asleep in Ever's embrace, after crying and yelling until I no longer could. I don't remember being put into bed.

As I lay, everything that happened yesterday replays in my head like a film.

He won't let me free. He said it. If Shawn did offer to pay him back, he would still keep me. Was this even about the money to begin with? This is all starting to seem like it has little to do with the money, and everything to do with me. Why? What did I do to him?

A single tear falls from the corner of my eye.

I will escape. Even if it means my death.

I hop out of bed and navigate to the door - I'm not surprised to find that it's locked. Next I find my way to the large window in which I had spotted the sun from. I'm on the second story, but I can figure something out. I try to pull the window up with all my might - once again, locked. I look around the room in an attempt to locate something strong enough to break the glass. My eyes move to a black lamp on the bedside table. I pick it up, and find that it's actually quite heavy.

It will do.

My hands still chained together, I remove the shade from the lamp, throw it across the room and grip the narrow top that holds the bulb, as if it's a handle. I move back to the window and take a deep breath. I spot a ledge that I can crawl onto once I'm outside.

It's now or never.

With all of my force I swing the base of the light into the window. The horrid sound of glass breaking fills the quiet room, and I know that I have to move fast.

I then realize that the window didn't even bare a scratch. The only thing broken was the lamp.

I stand still, staring at the unscathed window before me.

Hopeless.

I hear the door open hastily behind me, and turn to see Angela's startled, worried face. We stare at each other for a moment. Realization slowly hits her. 

"Sweetheart, what have you done?"

Before I can say a word, Ever appears behind her. Towering. Concerned. He puts his hand on the door frame, and leans in closer, over Angela.

His eyes travel to mine, down to the floor full of glass, and then dart back to me. I can visibly see him swallow. His knuckles turn white.

"Angela, go down stairs. Make breakfast."

I can see her eyes reflect terror at his request.

"But sir, I need to clean up the-"

"Go. Downstairs." He commands her through gritted teeth, but his eyes don't leave me. He is dripping with fire.

She shoots me an apologetic look before doing as she is told. He steps to the side to let her pass, then proceeds into the room with purpose. The door slams behind him.

He puts his hands into his pockets and takes unbearably slow strides towards me. I take a step back each time he steps forward. He stops, and looks down to the glass beneath his feet. I can hear the pieces crunch beneath his weight.

"I had the windows replaced before your arrival. You're a smart little girl, I'm surprised you hadn't considered that."

His long arm extends to the window, other hand still in his pocket; he taps his finger against it and looks over to me, his expression cold, seething.