Chapter XXII

Once we're back inside, Ever removes the cuffs from my wrists. I feel a momentary wave of freedom, until I remember the collar around my neck.

"You're free to anywhere inside of the house," he states. The memory of him mentioning to me that I would be allowed outside 'in good time,' flickers through my mind.

"And what about outside?"

"You will need permission. We were just outside, so there's no need for you to go back out right now."

I look up to him, and find that his eyes are on my collar. He looks pleased. Satisfied.

"I'm heading to my office to catch up on some business. Would you like to join me?"

I instantly shake my head and the satisfaction dissipates from his face.

"Run along then," he says coldly.

I awkwardly wander around the large house, in hopes of locating Angela. When I hear the clanging of pots and pans from the kitchen, I know that I've found her.

She is at the sink washing our dishes, and turns around when she notices my presence. She wears a look of confusion as she realizes that it's me, out in the open, and unchained. That quickly disperses and her expression turns to relief. She takes her hands from the dishwater and wipes them on her apron before turning to face me with a large smile.

"Well, well, well! Look who it is. How on earth did you pull that off?"

"Well," I smile at her and point to the pink collar on my neck. A knowing look crosses her face, a small wave of sadness, and then a smile once more.

"At least there's no chains?" She says hesitantly, as if she's trying to convince us both that the collar is a better alternative than it really is.

I try not to think about it any further but instead ask if she needs help washing the dishes. Of course, she says no, but I insist until she gives in.

I end up helping her clean the kitchen entirely, and I wander off again when she leaves to do laundry. I walk through the large house, grazing my fingers along the walls and any art that my eyes land upon. After a while, I absentmindedly enter a room that I quickly recognize to be Ever's office. My eyes wander from the grey walls, to the ungodly amount of cocaine that fills the large space, to his desk, and finally to his form. He's leaned back in his chair with his legs spread, elbow on the arm rest, and his jaw resting on the fingers of his hand. I accidentally look over his body much longer than necessary. His large physique absolutely reeks of power. When I finally draw my gaze to his eyes, they are already on me. How long did I just stare at him? My cheeks redden and I quickly advert my gaze.

"Hi," I hear him say.

I return quietly with a "Hello." 

Unsure of what to do, I wander slowly throughout the office. I feel his eyes burning through me the entire time, and the mere seconds that I've been walking feel like hours. I stop at the tall stacks of white powder, and run my fingers along the plastic encasing. I can't imagine how much money is in this room alone.

"Why do you do this?" I accidentally ask aloud. I don't turn to face him, and several moments pass before he finally replies.

"Why did you sell weed?" He retorts. My eyes roll.

"That's different. I-"

"Answer the question." He cuts me off.

I ponder a moment before giving him an honest explanation.