Chapter XVIII

"Ori, wake up. We're here."

I hear a deep voice whisper near my ear. I shuffle sleepily, and feel my butt ache underneath me. I don't want to move any further, I just want to go back to sleep.

"No," I whine.

"Yes," the voice replies instantly. I recognize it now to belong to Ever.

"You can go back to sleep once you're inside, princess. Come."

I feel the warmth of his large, rough hand engulf my own. I'm too tired to pay any mind to his words, and I let his hand lead me from the car. Though I can't see, I can feel the heat of the sun land on my skin once again. It is euphoric. I cease movement and bask in the warmth, in the oxygen. Ever doesn't attempt to pull for a few moments.

"I'll allow you outside all in good time. But at this moment, I need to you to come inside. Now.... please," he adds at the end. It's clear that "please" is a foreign word to him. It sounds unnatural as it rolls off of his tongue, through his mouth, and out into my ears. I say nothing, but let him continue to guide me. Once we've successfully navigated up the steps (a trying time, might I add,) I feel the air change, signaling that we've arrived inside. The lock of the door clicks behind us and the fabric of the blindfold begins to shift against my eye lids.

I blink several times when it's off, allowing my pupils to adjust.

We are in the same room I had been in just a few months ago. The room where I first laid eyes on the devil himself. Hatred washes over me.

I turn around and am met with his cold glare, and I feel as if he can read my mind. As if he knows that I'm thinking about our first encounter; as if he is awaiting my response to the situation.

Neither of us speak. I suddenly remember our incident before the trip here - it hadn't crossed my mind after waking up. My face heats up instantly. Maybe that's why he was staring. I withdraw my eyes from his and continue to absorb the surroundings once more, trying to push what happened somewhere far outside of my brain. I feel a wave of air bounce from my skin as he passes by me, heading towards an archway that I hadn't been into previously.

"You haven't ate," he says without turning around. "Follow me."

I don't take a step to move forward, but I do speak.

"Angela made me breakfast. I'm not very hungry, but thank you." My voice cracks in the slightest as I speak. He stops, but still doesn't turn to me. I am grateful, for I can't bare the eye contact.

"That was hours ago. You haven't ate lunch. You will eat."

This angers me so deeply. How can a person just fucking take someone against their will, order them around like it's nothing, but then be concerned when they haven't eaten in a few hours? How does that even work? How did I end up in this situation? I don't want to be around him, I don't want him to look at me, I don't want to be here. I want to be home, in my bed, watching Netflix and not thinking about how I called some bipolar lunatic who kidnapped me daddy.

While deep into my thoughts, I notice that Ever is no longer waiting for my response, as he continues to walk.

Despite my internal anger, I'm unsure of what to do, so I hesitantly follow behind him. I keep my eyes on the dark wood beneath me until we go through another arch.

His kitchen is absolutely breath-taking, just like the rest of his home. The cabinets and island are the color of black coffee, with granite countertops and a bright off-white backsplash. The hanging lights brighten the otherwise dim atmosphere.

 The contrast of dark and light is beautiful; I hate myself for admiring his taste in decor.

"Sit." He demands.