Chapter XV

My eyes flutter open to darkness, but my body tells me that it should be morning. Maybe even afternoon. I can feel that I've been asleep for a very long time. I stretch out my arms and legs, rolling my hips while I yawn before laying flat on my back. I keep my eyes open and stare out into the blackness as they adjust to the room. I stay like this for a few moments before I tilt my head to look around. Now that my sight is fully focused I can see the glow of a nightlight peek out of what I assume to be the bathroom. I briefly wonder who turned it on. I hadn't seen the door open until now. I follow the light's beam along the wall, quickly taking in view of the dark wooden door that I came through, and a light switch to the left of it.

I lift my torso from the bed and move my feet to sit cross legged. The chain rattles and it is almost deafening.

My mind wanders to Shawn. How could he do this?

One million dollars, I think.

I knew that he had grown out of being a small time dealer, but I cannot imagine the numbers he must have been moving to work up to a status that he'd be given that much product. I decide that he needed ten thousand dollars to get the remainder of his things and leave the country for good. The money he'd taken must had been tied up in Mexico by that time. I hate myself for not knowing. The signs were there, and I was blind to them. I trusted him, when he had never given me a reason to. 

He is the reason why I'm here now, and he must have known there was a chance something like this would happen. I have never hated anyone in my life, but the foreign sensation begins to course through my veins.

I didn't notice that the door was being unlocked until it's open and the light of the room blinds my eyes. I cover them with my hands and stay that way, my elbows on my knees. I'm still sitting cross legged, and I realize at that moment that I've been wearing a dress the entire time I've been here. I internally freak out until I move my hand down and feel that the hem had fallen in between my legs, covering my intimate area in total. I wonder for a brief moment if I had been so lucky when Ever had been in the room with me. 

A soothing, concerned voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Misses, I've brought your breakfast. Are you feeling any better?"

I drop my hands entirely and my eyes dart to Angela's. I can't control my face as it breaks into a smile. I see her try to hide it, but she fails as a similar smile creeps onto her own.

He actually let her stay. 

For some reason, this makes my heart jump. 

"Hi." I say stupidly. I almost feel giddy at the sight of her.

"Hi," she laughs and her eyes roll. She brings the tray to the same spot as she did before. It is full of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. My tummy rumbles as I inhale the scent. Once she sits it down, she puts her hands behind her back and grows almost a sheepish look.

"Misses, I don't know what you - I.... thank you." Her eyes are welled up as she looks at me with gratitude.

I pat the bed next to me and she looks extremely hesitant. I insist until she sits next to me.

"Will you call me Ori? Please?" I ask her. I feel weird being addressed as Misses.

"Thank you, Ori. I'm... I'm too old to start looking for another job."

Seeing her eyes scan to my tray, I grab my fork and begin to pick at my eggs.

"How long have you worked for Kingsley?" I ask, bringing the food to my mouth.

"Three years."

"Why? Why this?" I turn to her and ask seriously - even though my mouth is full of food.