4. The Caramel Latte

A FEW DAYS AND A DAYDREAM LATER

"I think you should try this?" I recommend prior to being greedy and taking another sip.

"What is it?" Alex stows away his wallet before sitting at the tiny, circle table. For precaution, he grabs and takes a sniff of the beverage. Idiot. "Angel!" He snaps after getting a disrespectful whiff.

"Their caramel latte." Knowing the jig is up, I swirl my eyes at the fact that he ruined my surprise. I wanted his disgusted reaction when he blindly drank it. Ugh. I just wanted a laugh.

"Baby, I don't care for caramel." He scrunches his face as he sets it down.

"Try it." I take in his hesitant, yet sickening eyes. As I wait, I rest my chin in my palm. "It's so good." 

"Don't make me." He whines, lifting the drink to inspect the bottom. That wasn't a good idea. "Ew, what the hell?" He covers his mouth with the back of his hand. He's nauseated. "It's everywhere." He lowers his tone, after realizing he's complaining like a little kid that doesn't like broccoli.

"Alex." I smile instead of laughing in his face.

"The texture." He eyeballs the drink, then swirls it. Why's he looking at this thing like it's foreign?

"You're such a baby."

"What?" He pauses. "I got your baby."

My husband takes the challenge by taking a sip of the dreaded latte. I watch as it goes up the straw. He let it touch his tongue. I'm impressed already. Alex adorably gathers the whipped topping on his nose. I hold up my phone to capture the moment. He smacks his lips as he continues to track the gooey caramel. His gawking then shifts to me.

"What do you think?" I lower the phone to witness the verdict.

"I think..." He takes another drink – this one more thorough. "you should get another."

"You like?" Due to the unforeseen victory, my voice is an octave higher. It's a new day people. Time to rejoice.

"Without all this crap." He points to the overdone topping.

"I'm shocked." I give a proud round of applause. "I'm glad you like it, baby."

"The world opens up when you do." He smiles with foam still on his nose.

"You got a little something right here." I point to my nose as an indicator.

"Oh," He smirks. "right here?" He points to his nose.

"Yes." I laugh as I nod.

"Get it off, Angel. No napkins." He dares with a flirty challenge as he leans over the table.

. . .

"We're changing it up today?" A voice snatches me from my best memories. Pulling my eyes from my Caramel Latte Supreme, I'm met with a familiar face.

"Hi." I give a soft smile, then glance at my half-empty cup. "Yes, have you tried the caramel latte?"

"Yes, but I think you should try the French Vanilla & Toffee Latte. It's quite satisfying on a gloomy day like this." He directs his eyes out the window. Mine follow to the place that doesn't feel quite at home yet. My scrutinizing lingers until I hear, "May I sit?" The guy stands, waiting for permission. Get it together, Angel.

"Sorry, yes. Have a seat." I point to the seat before me as I apologize for my discourtesy. "I'll have to try that latte." The sugary scent of my drink has too many memories flowing as I try to hold a conversation. I try detaching by downing the latte to get rid of the smell. "Maybe tomorrow."